Cross cutting with Torchmate X

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
N8inWV
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Cross cutting with Torchmate X

Post by N8inWV »

My shop recently got a new torch mate. I’m getting all the basics but one thing I can’t figure out is how to make a cross cut without a gcode. Is there a way I can just manually make cuts from my VMD? I saw a video online but it was for a older version of software and I didn’t have the menus they used.

Thanks in advance for any info

Nate
Charlie10
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Cross cutting with Torchmate X

Post by Charlie10 »

Cross cutting as in just a straight line cut? I don't have a Torchmate, but what I did was just draw a straight line the width of a sheet, set an open contour toolpath to it, and then save it as a "cut-off" file. Then every time I need to make a straight cut across the sheet I just set my zero where I want the cut and run that file. If it isn't the whole width of a sheet you can just abort it as it comes to the end of the material. I use that to cut off the skeletons of parts I just cut from the rest of the sheet, if I don't put the cut-off directly into the part file. I don't know about doing it manually.
N8inWV
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by N8inWV »

Thanks, I ended up doing the same thing with as straight line code. But I figured out the tool menu and now can just activate torch and manually jog / cut or put in a distance for run from program zero. Works great.
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

I drew two lines one vertical and one horizontal the full travel of my table.
I manually edit the gcode for the material thickness speed, edge start it then manually turn it off at the end of the material.
emerson77
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by emerson77 »

I call this file ,"CrossCut.gm.
Set Program Zero at the point you would like the cut to end.
Move torch to point you would like to start the cut.
Run the program.
If point you want the cut to start is an edge torch placement is critical. Tip must be half on and half off edge to get a good complete cut. Not quite on metal, torch will not sense metal and not begin cut. Just sit there and fire.To far on and naturally you will not get a complete cut. Works for me.

G70
G90
M06 T1
M64
G01 X0 Y0 F200.000
M65
M02

Return to “Torchmate Forum”