What do I need to make my table also a WOOD ROUTER?

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
tulsajosh
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

What do I need to make my table also a WOOD ROUTER?

Post by tulsajosh »

I have a older LTM 2 table 4x8, was curious what hardware I would need to beable to to use my tables as also a CNC Router for wood and acrylic?
Spaded Creatives LLC.

Lincoln Torchmate 2 4x8 Watertable
ShopBot 5x10 CNC Router
Miller XMT 304 welder
Miller Suitcase 12Rc
Miller 15a Mig gun
Eastwood Tig 200
Lincoln 140HD welder
Roland GX 24 vinyl cutter
Hyper smooth Powder coater
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: What do I need to make my table also a WOOD ROUTER?

Post by Gamelord »

Mostly you will just need a high powered spindle (not your normal Dewalt router - you'll most likely just burn it up).
Also, you will need some way of clamping the work pieces down. A plasma "blows" through the work piece with air pressure, very little disturbance of the piece being cut, a router "grinds/cuts" through the piece with pressure which will push your piece around, causing serious issues.
Another thing to ponder is dust collection or the removal of sawdust and watch out for the drops (centers or pieces being cut out). When the router finishes a cut, if the drop is not secure it will jar/bounce around which could send it back into the cutting bit.

Make sure your controls can do multiple passes with different depths, cutting wood (particle board) thicker than 1/4 inch in one massive cut can be very hard on your cutting bits and usually burns them up as well as burns the wood.

If you switch back to plasma, you will need to make sure all sawdust/scrap is cleaned out thoroughly around the table, in the cracks and especially in your ventilation ducts or you will have a serious fire or possibly an explosion hazard.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD

Return to “Torchmate Forum”