Thin Metal issues with Torchmate $X$ Growth

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
rcktscientist
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Thin Metal issues with Torchmate $X$ Growth

Post by rcktscientist »

I have one of the last Torchmate 4X4 Growth Series tables with Accomove 2 controller. I say that because before it was even assembled, they announced a newer, better model. I think they just needed to get rid of the old stock. I have had issues all along and tech keeps telling me the new models don't do that. Enough venting. I use it with a Hypertherm 65. I just started cutting thin material, 18 and 20 gage. When I do complex art designs with a lot of pierces I get crashing, incomplete cuts and other issues. I've made a lot of adjustments, including not using AVHC, but it got worse. Finally, they sent this Tech Bulletin which addresses the problem. Unfortunately, this is also probably for a late model controller because I don't have a single OK to move button, instead a dropdown. I tried some different settings to no avail. Waiting for tech to get back to me but was hoping some here may have experienced thisand found a solution. The bulletin explains why I'm having issuesand that makes sense.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Thin Metal issues with Torchmate $X$ Growth

Post by weldguy »

Checked out the pdf. So in your dropdown do you have no option to turn the OK to Move OFF? If not have you tried changing the "Active Level" to Low rather than HIgh? Turtle looks good :Like
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

When you say you get "crashing" - do you mean the torch hits the material or that your computer crashes? This one looks a good as the last ones you posted on your previous thread. When you say you are getting "incomplete cuts", do you mean it doesn't cut all the way thru the material or that it is stopping short on the cut path? I assume you are using FineCuts with your Powermax 65. For new FineCut consumables, it is a good idea to change your cut height from 0.060" to around 0.075" - 0.080" for the first several hundred pierces. This can help to prevent some issues with not cutting all the way thru the material.
David
rcktscientist
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by rcktscientist »

I used this picture I took of a Hawks Bill turtle to get the basic design. The cut out I showed and many stops, and I had to reposition at one point so it's far from a usable piece. I'll probably hang it high in my shop where it can't be scrutinized too closely.

I did find the OK to move command, it was in the Tool tab. I found pierce delay of .5 second worked. This may have solved part of the problem, but not the main one. I found several issues, but still not perfect.

By crashing, I mean the torch breaks away. I have to jog Z then run again, usually continues on but in IHS optimized mode it may miss a couple of cuts. I've also had a feed rate error that really stops the program from running. Tech says the only way that happens is when there is no rate specified. I sent the G codes, and they are specified, and it happens in the middle of a group of cuts where some obviously already worked.

Incomplete cuts are for example a circle only cuts 200 degrees. The OK to move may have fixed this issue.

Biggest issue is the breakaway or torch drags if it doesn't break away. I am not using AVHC, cut height is now .08". Sometimes it touches off perfect, raises and cuts. Sometimes it touches and continues to push, then when it raises it doesn't go high enough, either drags or breaks away. This appears to be an Ohmic sensing issue. All settings are for max sensitivity.

There are additional fixes I've tried. I thoroughly cleaned the contact points on the break away. I cleaned the sheet, it had rust as I was trying not to use nice new sheets until I'm happy with the cuts. This may be the biggest issue and maybe when I put in a pristine sheet it will improve greatly. I will run some trials tomorrow with new metal. If that doesn't work, I may just go to 16 gage and hope for better results.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “Torchmate Forum”