plasma cam or torchmate

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: plasma cam or torchmate

Post by abmetal »

That's why we sold our Torchmate and went back to Plasmacam. I know Torchmate has a good product but it just didn't work for us.

Allen
STEEL3470
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by STEEL3470 »

so basicly its 50/50 for torchmate and plasmacam i almost bought a plasma cam last year but built the pole barn instead now this year has been my best year and its only march, i am hoping to do this fulll time by end of summer. i just dont have the machine. i know sounds funny but i do have access to two lasers for now but its only a matter of time before i can't use them sany more.

i am leaning towards torch mate though because of the etcher.

ok anouther question 4x4 or 4x8? trying to keep this around 16000-18000 max. if you guys could help me with what you did when you purchased your machine and price ( you can message me if you want) and options you got that you dont need or wish you did.

again leaning towards
torchmate 4x4 or 4x8 --hypotherm 45
etching option
hight sensor.
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by JEd »

If you've got room for a 4X8 then go with that. I wish my 4X4 was a 4X8.

I've got a Torchmate that I'm quite happy with. I've never used anything else so I don't really know better.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

4x8 for sure!!! If you get anything smaller you will wish you had the bigger one eventually. That is unless you are very tight on space and just can't fit it in. Just be sure that you leave enough room for loading sheets onto the table as well as the actual footprint of the table itself.

It is a dream to be able to drop a 4x8 sheet on the table and not worry about it or having to get all your steel cut down to size or if you do a ton of artsy stuff, not worrying about wasting a good section of the sheet because something doesn't quite fit in the smaller scrap you happen to end up with. Yes you can index...but what a pain! My table is a 7x14 and it is awesome just laying up 4x10 sheets on it with no issues at all. When cutting a couple hundred pieces the larger table is a blessing.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Definately 8 x 4 then you'll wish you went 10 x 5 ;) and as Gamelord has said you can index but not only is it a pain but to do so you have to have half the sheet hanging out one side for the first half of the cut and then the cut half has to hang out the oposite side for the second cut so effectively uses 1 1/2 times the space as an 8 x 4 anyway.
Murray
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

We have a 5x10 and the vast majority of the time we're just utilizing one corner of the table but it sure is nice to be able to throw a 10' sheet on the table and not have to index. I HATED INDEXING!

Allen
Garysbiz
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Garysbiz »

Yes I echo the wishes for 4X8, mine is a 4x4 but can be expanded, I just do not have the room right now, bigger is better. Maybe even a 5x10, I think sheets can be had in 5 wide, not sure but probably help with attachments and room.
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

We cut more 4' widths than 5', but occasionally do run across a 4'5" and that's when the 5' wide table comes in handy.

Allen
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

Not sure about the torchmate but the plasmacam can be turned into a 4x8 later if you so wish...just a matter of ordering another set of gantry rails and building another set of legs for the frame(which is easy once you have the table)
I have the 5x10 and when that wasn't big enough I bought a 10x14 high def class machine

Brian

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”