How are people liking their Dynatorch tables?

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
calsdad
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

How are people liking their Dynatorch tables?

Post by calsdad »

After a few years of thinking about it off and on, I've been looking seriously at getting a CNC plasma table in the next couple of months. I looked at Plasmacam, Torchmate , and a few others - but keep coming back to the Dynatorch. I'll likely be running a Hypertherm Powermax 85 on it. The model I've been looking at is the Super B, but I noticed in another thread here that somebody has one of the XLS systems.

What's the big differences between the SuperB and the XLS? Any big cost difference?

For anybody that has one - how do you like it so far?
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: How are people liking their Dynatorch tables?

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Very little difference and you get a lot more table.

One you get a rack & pinon drive vs. a belt system. Granted their belt system works fantastically.

One reason I purchased a XLS with rack & pinion is just incase I decide to clone the mechanics to build a CNC Router.

The only real difference between their XLR8 & the XLS is the ability to run the big high end plasma cutters that require 3 phase which I don't have.

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
calsdad
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by calsdad »

Thanks. I'll have to ask Rick what the differences are and see if I think they're something that's worth it to me. I've got other machines I'd like to get too so I'll have to weigh that against the cost difference and my wallet.
cstroke
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cstroke »

I have a 2007 model and I've been very happy with the crew from Dynatorch.
The learning curve with this stuff is steep but well worth it in the end.
Congrats on the purchase..
6’x12’ Dynatorch powermax 85
12’ Wysong brake
5’x 5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ shear
65 Ton ironworker
Boss laser 3655 150 watt CO2.
SFX 100watt Mopa
Quicncy 7.5hp
Square wave tig, Multimatics, Miller bobcat efi.
calsdad
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by calsdad »

I've talked with Plasmacam - and with Dynatorch. I was much more impressed with the response I got from Dynatorch. The Plasmacam sell job just made me think I was going to buy a used car.

The only real thing that keeps me looking at Plasmacam is how easy-to-use their software is said to be. But in talking to Dynatorch they led me to believe their software is relatively easy to use also. I guess maybe I'm starting to adjust my thinking to accomodate the fact that I'm just going to have a steep learning curve on this stuff.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

There is no doubt that the overall software package from PlasmaCAM is excellent.

DYNATORCH takes more of an industrial path to doing things.

DXF to code is DXF to code.

That said, I will be using Corel Draw & AutoCAD. Most on here use CorelDraw. Don't let the fear of using a 3rd party drawing package sway you. You will end up using one anyway.

I fought with the DYNATORCH - PlasmaCAM choice for over 2 years. Every time I called PlasmaCAM with questions I got the "RONCO" sales pitch ("don't worry about what's in the box, it's magic").

Every time I called DYNATORCH with questions I got either the head engineer or a technician with answers to my questions.

I am not beating up on PlasmaCAM, it was just very frustrating to spend hours upon hours learning all I could about the different machines. I have called and spoke with every single table maker out there & PlasmaCAM was the only one that simply wanted to reiterate there superiority & read their sales pitch to me.

On the other hand, if you don't think you can learn to use a software package like Corel Draw, then you want a PlasmaCAM. Although it seems most of the PlasmaCAM owners on here use Corel Draw anyway.

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
calsdad
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by calsdad »

I used Corel Draw years ago when I started doing a lot of web design and video type stuff. I'm pretty familiar with Adobe Photoshop and some of the other Adobe products - so I should be able to learn Corel Draw relatively easily. I've also found a few programs that look on the surface like they will make getting used to G-Code a lot easier.

I have to admit though - I've tried using Autocad in the past - and that just didn't go much of anywhere for me. Maybe it's gotten easier to use in the intervening years- because it's probably been ten years since I last tried it out.

At first I was in the mindset of " I just want to whatever is easiest and make some parts" - I guess lately I've come around to accepting that I might have to go thru a learning process. Accepting that - and doing a hard comparison between the Dynatorch and the Plasmacam hardware is what has definitely leaned me towards Dynatorch. In general I just like dealing with companies that take the Dynatorch approach vs the Plasmacam approach.

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”