Messer EdgeMax Table cutting height problem

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
ancikworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Messer EdgeMax Table cutting height problem

Post by ancikworks »

I recently had to resolve an issue with my plasma table's torch not sensing the material properly when attempting to pierce.
Now, after the previous issue was 'fixed', the torch rises up too high during the pierce/cutting. I already spoke with Messer support and they provided documentation that was supposed to help. It did not resolve my issue and when I asked for further assistance, they just told me to book a service call. Before costing my company extra money unnecessarily, I would like to try and fix it myself.
Basically, the torch comes down, touches the steel, and lifts back up. But instead of coming up the 0.16" that is programmed in the database, it raised up more than twice that height, about 3/8".
I am running a Messer EdgeMax table along with a Hypertherm HPR260XD plasma. The documentation that was provided was the "Offset Adjustment" which is in the user manual as well. It involved adjusting a screw inside the "Lifter Amplifier" box.
Any suggestions for something else to check would be appreciated. Thank you.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Messer EdgeMax Table cutting height problem

Post by acourtjester »

Ok a few things have you looked at the G-code to be sure it is moving as told (to 0.160"). There is a procedure to determine the actual offset to match what the post processor is using for the offset. I assume you are using a floating head offset to set the pierce height.
Here is a video I made years ago using Mach3 but you should have similar operations on your control software for the offset value. you will also look in the post processor to change so they are the same value so it puts it in the G-code correctly.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

You mentioned you fixed the initial issue and now this new problem. What was it that you did to fix the original issue?
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

Messer uses their own control style which is a overlay of Beckhoff controls. They alone are the only ones who can help unless something very basic is wrong. Is to too bad they cannot explain how to help over the phone with a simple preset. But a retract height can be a physical issue with the axis or a software derived issue like distance tuning. I am surprised they did not help further. Try giving them a call and talk to another tech.

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”