New Guy Needs Help

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
SouthExpress
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New Guy Needs Help

Post by SouthExpress »

Hey guys - I'm new to the forum and to plasma cutting in general. The wife wants to add some plasma cutting to her woodworking hobby and I'm here trying to figure it all out. I got an older Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 50 with a SL60 torch from my work that was not being used. I have zero experience with plasmas so I'm drinking from a fire hose at this point. I know nothing. I got my air system ran and plasma cleaned up. Working on getting my CNC table up now and hopefully will be test cutting soon. the consumables are junk on this torch where it was being used in an industrial setting. I have no idea what consumables to buy can anyone help? I plan on cutting mainly 16 gauge and 14 gauge steel for metal signs, etc. Do I buy 30 amp or 40 amp tips? Do i drag cut? My table has a manual torch height control. Do I cut with an offset? Do I need a shield?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Even if the topic is not included here like, cutting amperage, speeds, air pressure recommendations. Thanks so much.
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: New Guy Needs Help

Post by cuttinparts »

Welcome to the forum! I had one of those years ago and always cut 14-16g with 40 amp nozzles with great success. Don't use drag cutting parts, use the standard electrode, 40 amp nozzles, and a good functioning start cartidge. For gauge metal I wouldn't bother with the shielded retaining cap, just use the standard cap that leaves the tip exposed is all i ever used and worked great on thin metals. Cut at 40 amps and operating air pressure should be listed on the back of your machine, I can't remember what it was. To determine a good cut speed draw a simple straight line 12-24 inches long, set your cut height to approx. .100" and start out cutting slow and increase your speed until your going too fast and lose the cut the simply bump it back 5-10 ipm. Good luck!
SouthExpress
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SouthExpress »

cuttinparts - Thank you for the response. This is a big help. I wanted to get these on order so we could get started. Thanks again and any other advise you have is appreciated.
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

Your very welcome, hope it helps. I would highly recommend a good quality air filter and drying system. Clean dry air is critical to your success. Dirty moist air will destroy your plasma consumables so quickly its like flushing money down he toilet and you will not cut good quality parts. If you see black or gray swirling stains around your plasma electrode and inside the tip then your air needs to be cleaned up. The Sharpe 6760 has been a fantastic addition for myself and many members here. Check them out here https://plasmaspider.com/shop/dryer_sharpe6760.html

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”