Cut Quality Help A40 cutmaster machine torch

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
tulsajosh
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Cut Quality Help A40 cutmaster machine torch

Post by tulsajosh »

So I have a ton of orders to fill and out of the blue my plasma just starts cutting like major crap when typically it cuts so smooth and clean with next to no curf and dross but now all of a sudden cuts are looking blown out and heavy dross and my torch hight is now acting irregular on my torchmate system.

I have replaced all consumables "OEM" and as well O-rings in the torch and same results, I've drained my air tanks and tried new air lines that run from my Refer Air Dryer and also just direct to the tank all with the same results. If I turn up my air pressure it's cuts somewhat better but still nastier and uglier than what I prefer so I am at a loss. The only thing I haven't replaced yet which is on order is the Starting Cartridge which I'm hoping should be in the week.

What I think my problem is, is an air flow blockage somewhere in my torch and consumables, and I am noticing when I pull my electrode out I dont see the spiral rings on the electrodes evenly like I normally do.

So my real question is unless someone has some more ideas is CAN A BAD START CARTRIDGE EVEN THO IT'S FIRING JUST FINE CAUSE AIR BLOCKAGE OR CAUSE POOR CUT QUALITY?

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Spaded Creatives LLC.

Lincoln Torchmate 2 4x8 Watertable
ShopBot 5x10 CNC Router
Miller XMT 304 welder
Miller Suitcase 12Rc
Miller 15a Mig gun
Eastwood Tig 200
Lincoln 140HD welder
Roland GX 24 vinyl cutter
Hyper smooth Powder coater
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cut Quality Help A40 cutmaster machine torch

Post by adbuch »

I'm not sure what the "start cartridge" is, but are you sure you have the recommended air pressure at the entrance to the machine - as measured with a pressure gauge mounted to the air inlet to your plasma cutter? This would be with air flowing and the torch cutting, not static air pressure. Just a thought.
David
tulsajosh
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Cut Quality Help A40 cutmaster machine torch

Post by tulsajosh »

adbuch wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:09 am I'm not sure what the "start cartridge" is, but are you sure you have the recommended air pressure at the entrance to the machine - as measured with a pressure gauge mounted to the air inlet to your plasma cutter? This would be with air flowing and the torch cutting, not static air pressure. Just a thought.
David
Thx I checked that and I did. But I think and hoping I just figured out my problem it looks like I may have gotten a bad batch of OEM plasma tips. Problem started as soon as I put a new tip in from an unopened package, every new tip I put in from that package cuts like garbage but if I put in an old tip is also OEM and that's slightly worn it cuts 100x better so I'm gonna try to get a new batch of tips somewhere and contact the MFG and see about getting some new ones sent or exchanged .
Spaded Creatives LLC.

Lincoln Torchmate 2 4x8 Watertable
ShopBot 5x10 CNC Router
Miller XMT 304 welder
Miller Suitcase 12Rc
Miller 15a Mig gun
Eastwood Tig 200
Lincoln 140HD welder
Roland GX 24 vinyl cutter
Hyper smooth Powder coater
adbuch