A80 Machine will pierce but not cut

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
luub18
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

A80 Machine will pierce but not cut

Post by luub18 »

Im working with a baileigh industrial PT-48-AH-W with a thermal dynamics A80 machine. I am trying to do test cuts and tune in the machine to run products. The machine will pierce the material but will not cut after pierce, yesterday it cut fine but not today. Since the arc will sit in the pierce hole
and blow into the tank without moving, it will kill the arc and throw an "Arc Break Alarm" warning. I have restarted and power cycled the machine numerous times, I have tried the factory setting, I have made adjustments for timing but nothing has made any difference. I cant find anything in the manuals and on other sites. Any ideas?? please help
SRdesign
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Machine will pierce but not cut

Post by SRdesign »

If you hit “demo” (F2) does it move as it should if it were cutting? When it pierces, do you get an arc feedback indication on your screen? Also, take a pic of your plasma setup parameters (F4, then F3) page and post it here
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

The old question is what did you do different, did you change post processors, did you try the same G-code that worked?
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
luub18
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by luub18 »

The demo will run as it should, and the screen will say that it is arcing from the time the arc starts until the arc check time runs out and the system faults. I will post pictures of the parameters when i get back to working on the machine later today but as a reference for now, I have the default parameters from baileigh for the 48AH machine on right now (you can find those on baileigh industrial's website). I have tried other parameters but the default is the only one that will intermittently cut.

I have tried other parameters and I have also tried other tips sizes with the proper base settings, but that did not help. The machine is still new and I am just trying to get it to run good enough to start tuning in for production parts, therefore I have not tried to mess with post processors or major parameter setting. Yes I have tried other paraments but they have not been major changes and will not even intermittently cut, so everything is back to original and I'm back to square one. I also have not tried messing with g-code because I am still new to this type of stuff. Right now I am only trying to run the sample part that comes straight from baileigh when you buy your machine. The only part I have been able to fully cut is a square from their shape library. When trying to run baileigh's sample part, SOMETIMES it will cut the inner circle without a problem but when it jumps to the outer cut than it will pierce but will not run. Now it doesnt matter what shape or design I have tried, it will only pierce than fault out and not run.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I am just curious about your air supply. The Function Control knob on the front has 4 positions, 1 of those positions will purge air through the system to allow you to set the air pressure. With the air purging you want your pressure to hold solid between 70-85psi. I have seen in the past that some folks air supply is too restricted and if they were to allow the air to purge for 30 seconds or so the pressure would drop too low and extinguish the arc. In this situation you will likely have enough air for the first few cut inches to cut before the arc goes out. This may be what is happening where you have enough for the first cut but not the second. If you were to set the Fuction knob in purge mode for 30 seconds how low does your pressure get on the LED bar display?
luub18
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by luub18 »

Here are the parameters and the machine settings. I tried to add a video of what is happening but it wouldn't let me add it

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

luub18
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by luub18 »

weldguy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:27 am I am just curious about your air supply. The Function Control knob on the front has 4 positions, 1 of those positions will purge air through the system to allow you to set the air pressure. With the air purging you want your pressure to hold solid between 70-85psi. I have seen in the past that some folks air supply is too restricted and if they were to allow the air to purge for 30 seconds or so the pressure would drop too low and extinguish the arc. In this situation you will likely have enough air for the first few cut inches to cut before the arc goes out. This may be what is happening where you have enough for the first cut but not the second. If you were to set the Fuction knob in purge mode for 30 seconds how low does your pressure get on the LED bar display?
The main issue is that it will not even start the cut. It will only pierce the material than not move, causing the machine to fault out and stop the program
SRdesign

Post by SRdesign »

For starters, turn the plasma cutter operation knob to the top right. 180 degrees from the selection that you have it on now. See if that solves your problem
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
SRdesign

Post by SRdesign »

And yes, weldguy is correct. Your air pressure is also low. If your plasma cutter is sitting idle with only the 70psi light lit up, when it is operating it is most likely a lot lower than that. Do as he says, turn the knob to the top left and let the air purge through the torch, then adjust your air pressure accordingly.
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
luub18
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by luub18 »

Turning the operation knob to the run fixed my issue of not cutting. Thank you guys!!

Now comes tuning in the machine for less slag, any suggestions??
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Move faster until it clear then stop, you will have a slight slag at the correct speed.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Awesome! Glad you have it cutting now. Acourtjesters advice will help you to reduce or eliminate the slag with faster cutting speeds but also be certain that you are maintaining the proper torch to work distance with each speed change that you try. Good luck.
luub18
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by luub18 »

I changed my tip size, machine settings, and parameters and the cuts have been much better! Thanks!
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

luub18 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:46 am I changed my tip size, machine settings, and parameters and the cuts have been much better! Thanks!
That's great! Glad things worked out so quickly for you. These guys are a pile of help.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”