Thermal Dynamics A80

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
peysera
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Thermal Dynamics A80

Post by peysera »

Good afternoon guys,
I recently acquired a torchmate 4x4 Growth series table with a thermal dynamics A80 Plasma. I've got it to run really nicely on 40A consumable and up to 10GA. I'm looking to run some heavier stuff, although everytime I change over consumables and adjust air/amps it wont start. No matter what I do I cannot get the machine to start on any amperage over 40A. I have tried putting in the 80A as well as the 60A, and no luck. Any idea what I am over looking? I should add it will fire just not pierce and begin cutting.

Thanks,
Austin
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Thermal Dynamics A80

Post by Rodw »

The TD machines have a parts in place sensor in the torch tip. By the sound of it, thats not seating and therefore it won't run. Are you using genuine consumables?
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

If it is firing and just not piercing the material than the parts in place switch won't be the issue. Sounds like it just won't transfer the arc to the material, likely just sits there with the air making a bit if high pitched whistling sound I am guessing.

1-be sure your air pressure is set to the appropriate psi, set the pressure while the air is flowing by putting the mode selection knob in "Set" mode, the knob position at 11 oclock

2-check your start cartridge (the black consumable component with the spring loaded copper center piece) and be sure the center piece moves in and out as it should, also there is a tapered edge where this cartridge contacts the nozzle, this will become pitted from arcing and can be smoothed out with scotchbrite pad. If this is not smooth and clean it can stick to the nozzle and torch won't fire.

3- Check your ground clamp and be sure it is securely attached to clean material

Good luck, let us know
peysera
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by peysera »

I'm hoping to get a couple hours tonight or Sunday to give it another try. I have brand new consumables in it currently, but went down and bought OEM stuff since the electrode is off brand (although they cut great with the 40a)....im hoping this solves it. The starter cartridge is the heavy duty oem brass one and virtually brand new.

Thanks,
Austin
peysera
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by peysera »

Still havent solved this, TD is telling me that I may need to send it in and have the PC board replaced. He was saying when they go out they wont run over 60A as some sort of safety feature when the board goes out. They want $1300+ for this repair, has anyone else had this issue or heard of this?

Thanks,
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Won't go over 60A for safety? That sounds like a big load of BS to me.

So if you cut something at 40 amps with a 40 amp tip it works. What happens if you use that same 40 amp setup that just cut but turn the amps up to 60 and try again, will it work then? I realize you shouldn;t run amps higher than the tip is rated for but just for testing purposes I am curious.
peysera
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by peysera »

I have tried this and as long as the dial is over 60A it trips. I will have to keep tinkering, the senior tech I talked to at TD told me to check the flat blade connection in the torchlead plug to table ground OHMS. With the machine off and leads disconnected it should read 9000+ OHMS if its any less than the board is fried.

Thanks,
Austin
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

peysera wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:28 pm Still havent solved this, TD is telling me that I may need to send it in and have the PC board replaced. He was saying when they go out they wont run over 60A as some sort of safety feature when the board goes out. They want $1300+ for this repair, has anyone else had this issue or heard of this?

Thanks,
I think you can buy the replacement circuit board for under $700. This replacement may be something you can do yourself.
David

https://www.airgas.com/product/Welding- ... /TDC9-0192
A80 circuit board.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

peysera
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by peysera »

I've never really opened one of these up. If your certain thats the board they are talking about, I may just order it and start there. Sounds easier than un wiring the machine and having it sent back to TD.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Based on what the TD tech said, you need a new board. I would expect the board is easily removed by unplugging the connectors and unscrewing from the mounts. I would go for it. Otherwise just limit your cutting to less than 60A.
David

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”