do you own a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81 or 151?

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
bracken
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

do you own a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81 or 151?

Post by bracken »

I have a faulty pilot board from a Cutmaster. One of the diodes is completely destroyed, beyond hope of any recognition. I have searched in vain for a schematic so I can find out what type the diode is. Everything I find shows how the circuit board is connected, but not what's on it.

I'm hoping that someone out there has a Custmaster 81 or 151 and would be willing to send some closeup photos. The board is a pilot board 19X2157. The diode in question is D5, right behind D2 on the left.

Thanks for your help.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: do you own a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81 or 151?

Post by adbuch »

bracken wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:01 pm I have a faulty pilot board from a Cutmaster. One of the diodes is completely destroyed, beyond hope of any recognition. I have searched in vain for a schematic so I can find out what type the diode is. Everything I find shows how the circuit board is connected, but not what's on it.

I'm hoping that someone out there has a Custmaster 81 or 151 and would be willing to send some closeup photos. The board is a pilot board 19X2157. The diode in question is D5, right behind D2 on the left.

Thanks for your help.
Post some photos of your board so we can see the diodes. We may be able to identify the ones not destroyed, and perhaps the bad one is the same. However, there is probably a reason the diode was destroyed. So simply replacing it may not be the best idea, as there may be other problems with the board which led to the destruction of the diode in question.
David
bracken
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by bracken »

I'm new to this board, haven't figured out how to post photos yet. All sorts of HTML capabilities at the top... but not seeing how to do this.

I agree that there may be other things wrong - but I'm nowhere at all without an ID of D5.

In any case, the D2 and D5 diodes are different. Here are my notes:

Diode D5 is completely trashed. Removed - can discern "4" over "0" on cathode end, "X" over "R" on anode. Board is "pilot board 19X2157". Search for schemo finds board is used in Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81 and 151, connections and general function of board are shown in schemo but not the specifics. One manual shows layout of components without a schemo. Pulled D2 also, tests OK with low voltage. D2 is 1N6274A. Q2 Q4 apparently not shorted. Q2 Q4 are 60GT60BR. These are IGBT format, still available. Cannot locate replacement board. Varistor may also be suspect. 250L20 is NLA, V250LA20A is replacement.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

One thing with electronics failures is was the component faulty and died, or was it the weakest link in the circuit. Another thing is boards today are multi layered, if the component really burned the board it may be beyond repair. There is a guy on the web that does Plasma repairs you may reach out to him for info on these boards to see if they are repairable.
https://www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com/
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
bracken
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by bracken »

OK, thanks.
FixIt
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by FixIt »

I own one. Did you get it fixed?

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”