Thermal dynamics ICNC XT231 troubles

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
weldpnw
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Thermal dynamics ICNC XT231 troubles

Post by weldpnw »

Hey there. New to the forum. I picked up a used table that’s been retrofitted with a thermal dynamics ICNC XT231 controller. I have got everything to work as I’d expect, EXCEPT torch won’t ignite. Start a file, torch tracks to where it wants to start, and nothing happens. Just throws a error code on screen. (inhibit 04 main arc sense) there is no codes on the power unit, consumables are all in good shape. I verified the plasma works with the manual torch, i ohmed out the cable that goes between controller and plasma and it’s good… any ideas?? Pictures attached of the code and of the unit.
46762596-CD97-4CA7-A43B-419DB93EA9DE.jpeg
2BD11480-DDD3-40B2-B352-C98BA10E51B4.png

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Thermal dynamics ICNC XT231 troubles

Post by Rodw »

http://przecinarka-plazmowa.pl/wp-conte ... 2-2016.pdf
Screenshot 2022-01-02 8.02.07 PM.png
I'd also look at parts in place sensors on the torch

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

What plasma cutter are you using? I see it's an SL100 torch so curious on the power supply.

I would unplug the plasma cutter from the controller and cross the 2 pins used to trigger the plasma cutter ON. Will it fire if you do that?

If so then we can move to the next step, if not then I would be surprised if there was no error on the PSI bar indicator on the front of the plasma.
weldpnw
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by weldpnw »

Rodw wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:03 am http://przecinarka-plazmowa.pl/wp-conte ... Screenshot 2022-01-02 8.02.07 PM.png

I'd also look at parts in place sensors on the torch
Consumables are brand new, everything with torch height is separate from ICNC unit. Torch height is run through the aviator side. Which seems to be functioning.
weldpnw
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by weldpnw »

weldguy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:14 am What plasma cutter are you using? I see it's an SL100 torch so curious on the power supply.

I would unplug the plasma cutter from the controller and cross the 2 pins used to trigger the plasma cutter ON. Will it fire if you do that?

If so then we can move to the next step, if not then I would be surprised if there was no error on the PSI bar indicator on the front of the plasma.

I have a thermal dynamics 152. And you are saying jump the pins on the icnc side of cable, and leave it unplugged? To see if it fires? And yes no errors on plasma.
weldpnw
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by weldpnw »

weldguy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:14 am What plasma cutter are you using? I see it's an SL100 torch so curious on the power supply.

So jump 3-4

Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

I have a TD A120, the 120 amp version of your machine.
The manual I quoted shows 3 possible causes. All of them are to do with the plasmacutter.
The SL100 torches do some handshaking to determine if a hand torch or machine torch is fitted so your hand torch test is not that helpful.
The SL100 also has a parts in place circuit to sense if consumables are correctly loaded. If you remove the torch cup when the machine is all powered up, you should hear a little click from the machine as the PIP is deactivated. If you don't, something is wrong. Check all these parts are installed.
torch-parts.png
Next step is to look at the front panel and make sure there are no errors showing. Have you set the correct pressure with the air on per the front panel knob. Thats what it is there for.

Do you have the work clamp attached to the material as well as the table?

If all this checks out, then looking at the possible errors, torch height and Arc OK (main arc signal) will cause the torch to pulse but not stablis a valid arc.
So that leaves you with a problem with the torch on signal either in the wiring, parts in place or in the machine.

weldpnw
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by weldpnw »

Okay, so I don’t have consumables like that, the ones installed are identical to what I have on a hand torch. In this parts breakdown I have the shield and tip that’s numbered 9-8218 and no ohmic clip. I have pressure set to what the ICNC called for, when I take consumables out of plasma nothing happens, but if you turn machine off, and back on it will throw the error codes for the tip being out and purges air from torch (pulses) as soon as you screw tip and shield in code goes away and air purging stops. I had ground hooked to plate I was trying to cut, and tried it hooked to table
Chassis. But not both at same time as I figured metal-metal it would self ground.
weldpnw
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by weldpnw »

Here’s the tips I was referring to shield number 9-8218 and a 40 amp tip

Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

OK, I think you should try to jumper the connector as mentioned earlier.
Everything appears to be OK
For reference, I have attached the 40 amp settings and consumables I use for best cut quality on 2mm mild steel plate.
This is an aside, I don't think it would be the cause.
Pages from TD A120 Manual.pdf
You have a high end machine, If you can't resolve this, It probably worth booking a service call with Esab or Thermal Dynamics depending on what they call themselves where you are.

weldpnw
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by weldpnw »

Okay I am headed to my shop now, I’ll report back in a few!
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

weldpnw wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:14 pm So jump 3-4
Yes, jump 3 and 4 and see if the plasma cutter fires and or throws an error.
weldpnw
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by weldpnw »

weldguy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:07 pm
weldpnw wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:14 pm So jump 3-4
Yes, jump 3 and 4 and see if the plasma cutter fires and or throws an error.
Okay she fired right off! So I guess that’s a step in the right direction
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

so if you can do it, see if you can bridge the same wires at the controller end of the cable. IF it does not fire you have a faulty cable
weldpnw
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by weldpnw »

Rodw wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:48 pm so if you can do it, see if you can bridge the same wires at the controller end of the cable. IF it does not fire you have a faulty cable
I unhooked cable from controller and jumped it there. Figured I’d kill 2 birds with one stone. So cable and plasma check out.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

So time to review section 6.7 of the manual I shared. What happens when you push the start button on the I/O bits tab?
We are really at the end of where we can help.
Its either operator error (misconfigured) or a controller issue.
weldpnw
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by weldpnw »

I’ll give that a shot tomorrow and see what happens. Thank you
weldpnw
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by weldpnw »

Sorry for my ignorance, but from my understanding the height control on this unit is controlled via the aviator side. not from the ICNC so i believe the IHC is turned off on the ICNC? or maybe it needs to be configured differently to talk with the aviator side? from talking with the ex operator of this machine, he said he had to set the height manually with the avaitor and it controlled torch height after plasma arc started. so ICNC should not be looking for any of that and should just fire off torch and go? or am i looking at this all wrong?
weldpnw
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by weldpnw »

page 7-17 talks some about this i believe in the manual you shared (if i am understanding it correctly) this is my first cnc plasma and for sure my first dealing with any type of programming/configuring so i am as green as it gets haha. "set 3" on page 7-17 sounds like what i am looking for? where cnc commands start and height controller provides the ready signal?
Last edited by weldpnw on Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
weldpnw
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by weldpnw »

Rodw wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:06 pm So time to review section 6.7 of the manual I shared. What happens when you push the start button on the I/O bits tab?
We are really at the end of where we can help.
Its either operator error (misconfigured) or a controller issue.
So here is the aviator side. So I was told you set pierce height, and auto height control here (this unit controls the Z axis solely) then the ICNC only runs the X/Y and commands torch on. That’s why I think ICNC should just command torch on/off and aviator does the rest? Maybe I’m ass backwards idk 😂

Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

That would make sense. Where does the torch connect to?
If to the Aviator, where is the connection from the Controller to the aviator so the controller can pass the torch on signal?
weldpnw
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by weldpnw »

Rodw wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:14 am That would make sense. Where does the torch connect to?
If to the Aviator, where is the connection from the Controller to the aviator so the controller can pass the torch on signal?
cable goes from plasma, into a box which i assume is a signal filter of some kind, then it goes into aviator, and aviator has a cable going into ICNC.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Well you know what you have to trace now.
Failing that, it would be worth paying for a service call.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Glad the pin jump confirmed plasma OK and the same tested out OK for your cable to the controller. My guess is everything is fine and its something simple.

Keep tracing the system back as you have been doing with the pin jump and cable test, go back as far as you can and try to uncover something.

I see a "Plasma Active" light on the front of it...have you ever seen it light up when trying to fire the torch?
weldpnw
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by weldpnw »

weldguy wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:45 am Glad the pin jump confirmed plasma OK and the same tested out OK for your cable to the controller. My guess is everything is fine and its something simple.

Keep tracing the system back as you have been doing with the pin jump and cable test, go back as far as you can and try to uncover something.

I see a "Plasma Active" light on the front of it...have you ever seen it light up when trying to fire the torch?
i am going to mess with it today, ill report back haha. and no i have not, my suspect is it will only come on when torch is fired. so aviator picks up the arc voltage. but not sure

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”