Cutmaster 82 - 85 Error Code

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
mraupie17
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Cutmaster 82 - 85 Error Code

Post by mraupie17 »

Hey all,

First time posting, but not sure where else to turn. I have a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 82. It is an older machine but lightly used. Has worked great for years, but it suddenly stopped working and is displaying error code 85.

I have change all the consumables with new genuine thermal dynamics parts. I verified the air pressure and that it was dry. Verified ground. Worked through the manual and verified continuity on the pins of the plug that it said to check. Looked at the PCB for something burned or looks bad, and don't see anything.

I contacted vendor and they referred me to repair shop. Closest repair shot is 2 hours away. I called them and they have no idea and have never worked on one before. He said he would give it a try, but no ideas and no estimates on cost.

Anyone have any thoughts on other things I can test?
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutmaster 82 - 85 Error Code

Post by weldguy »

The common cause of this I have found is the plunger on the starter cartridge is stuck to the nozzle. Remove your consumables and look at the spring loaded plunger on the bottom of the start cartridge. At the bottom of that plunger is a beveled edge which contact the beveled edge in the top of the nozzle. Put the nozzle and cartridge together in your hand and you will see how they fit together. What happens is the electrical arcing can pit the beveled edge on the plunger and cause it to stick to the nozzle causing a error 85. Get a scotchbrite pad or fine sand paper and smooth out that beveled edge, blow clean with compressed air, reinstall your consumables and there is a good chance that everything is back to normal.
mraupie17
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mraupie17 »

I was not able to fix the 85 code, so I bought a used Cutmaster 82 that was identical. The person I bought it from said it worked phone.

It was set to use 3 phase, so I switched it over to single phase and started it up, received an effor code of 75. The threads to connect the torch were a little messed up, so it was not going on all the way. Reset it making sure on all the way and that fixed the 75 error. I tried the torch from the old one during that time with no luck. Figured out it wasn't going on all the way and 75 error went away. Now I am getting an 85 error code on that one as well.

I now have two identical plasma cutters with the same error code and I'm about to lose my mind.

1) is it possible that the torch from the old one broke was bad and when I tried it on the other, it broke the other one I bought as well?
2) is there something else that could be happening causing the 85 error? Like maybe air compressor somehow causing the issue?

There isn't a repair place anywhere near me and I did call one a few hours away and they didn't seem to know much. If anyone has thoughts or direction, I would greatly appreciate it!
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

No word on whether you tried my suggestion above, did you try that?
mraupie17
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mraupie17 »

I apologize for not directly responding to that. Yes, I did try that. I replaced all consumables in the torch as well as sanding down by the plunger .

As additional information that I noticed I didn't share, we did find that the main board had a blown capacity. We had someone who works on electronic boards solder a new one on and now it looks like it is good. However, I am not fully convinced it isn't a board problem which is why we bought the second device and now it is show the same error.

So at least at one point there was a board issue that hopefully is resolved. I just find it odd that the second device is doing the same thing.

We did use the plasma cutter for about 6 years prior to this issue, so we have been pretty familiar with normal setup and use.

I appreciate your responses and greatly appreciate any other thoughts or direction you can provide!
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

I can't tell if you've tried a different torch.

I keep a spare brand new one on hand to switch out.

If you're using a machine torch - does it work with a hand torch (not the straight machine torch) on it?
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

That's great, glad you were able to get it sorted out and appreciate you posting your solution :Like
mraupie17
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mraupie17 »

Sorry if there was any confusion, we have NOT figured this out, my last comment is that we found an issue with the board and we did have that repaired, but we are still experiencing the same issue.

We also have the same issue with another machines, exact same model that we bought in efforts to be able to swap parts and test things.

We have two used torches, same result on both torches and on both machines. The other machine the seller claimed working when we bought it but we could not test it when we bought it because it was set for 3 phase.

It would be possible for us to buy a new torch, but only if we knew that would resolve the issue. The hope is to not get too far into cost and end up with as much in it as it would cost for a new one. I know new boards are about $1800 and new torches are I believe are around $800ish.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Ah my mistake, I thought fixing the blown cap solved your issue. I think it is unlikely that you have 2 bad torchs. The torches are very simple, 2 high current wires, 2 small wires for the retaining cap safety switch, and an air line. This is a consumable issue I think. Post back with a pic of the consumable stack you are using in the order that it is going in the torch.
mraupie17
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mraupie17 »

Ok, will do. I will post this weekend. I have the plasma cutters in my dad's garage and won't be back there until saturday, but I will post the picture then. Thank you!
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

If I didn't want to spend the money for another new torch, then I would take one of the torches completely apart and inspect the internals of it.

When you're a business time is money and the new torch is the answer (if I was wondering and there was a welding store around with one on the shelf I would buy one and it that wasn't it I would just return it)

When you're using it for personal or farm use your time is "free", so it makes sense to try and fix it.

As noted above, they aren't that complicated inside.

Good luck -
italogarcia
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by italogarcia »

Hi. I have the same problems. Two cutmaster A120. There is not the torch. I bought one new. All original consumables. And the same problems.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”