E012 code PERSISTENT!!

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
MUFOSTAA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

E012 code PERSISTENT!!

Post by MUFOSTAA »

Hello, back again. Got my Cutmaster 60i up and running, but it was throwing codes intermittently (E012). Finally got it to make a few cuts, but they were terrible. 60A on .220”(6mm). I attributed this to poor air quality and invested in a water separator and 5 micron filter. Set it all up today and gave it a test. The first cut was awesome!!! So I got a good piece of steel and my guide. Laid out some cuts I need to make and got ready to cut. Could not get an arc again. I broke down the torch numerous times and checked all connections repeatedly. Like new machine (I have yet to use it how I’d like yet due to issues), all new TD consumables, 50A breaker (I checked voltage pulling 250V), good ground, clean metal, all of the obvious things seem to be in order. I hate to pay for a service technician since I haven’t even had a chance to cut with it yet. If anyone has ideas or recommendations please let me know!! Thanks in advance!!!
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: E012 code PERSISTENT!!

Post by weldguy »

Did you get a chance to read my reply to your other topic about the start cartridge plunger viewtopic.php?f=74&t=33561

Here was my suggestion from that topic

"Awesome, great news. E012 sounds like a start cartridge to me also. If the 60i still uses the SL60 or SL100 torch consumable the start cartridge has a spring loaded plunger. The end of this plunger is beveled and this beveled plunger contacts the nozzle. What happens is the beveled edge on the start cartridge will arc to the nozzle sometimes and pit the surface of the bevel. This can cause the start cartridge plunger to stick to the nozzle and throw codes like this. Get a piece of emery cloth or scotchbrite and smooth out the beveled edge on the cartridge to prevent sticking and this may fix that error."
MUFOSTAA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MUFOSTAA »

Yes sir, I tried cleaning it up to no avail. I ended up ordering a brand new one, but that did not do the trick. All consumables are brand new at this point. I read the manual and the other recommendations seem to be a bit above my level of comfort. I just hate to pay money for service on a machine I have yet to use 😓 thanks for your reply!
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

E012 : Tip to electrode voltage too low. Consumables fail to separate when gas flows, start cartridge stuck, failed power supply, no output or shorted torch body

I'd look at
1. air pressure and air volume.
2. Water in the air. I had to use a refrigerated drier on my Thermal Dynamics A120 which uses the same torch. (My bet)

Ditto also on the start cartridge. I've only ever had it stick once until I replaced all of the consumables.
The other outside chance is that your ArcOK relay contacts in the plasma cutter have oxidised resulting in intermittent operation because your controller is not passing enough current through the circuit.. Its very frustrating if it happens. Without an arcOK it won't start cutting
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Cutmaster E012.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

MUFOSTAA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MUFOSTAA »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I replaced all consumables and checked all connections. I added a debris filter and an external drier in addition to the built-in separator. I finally caved and took it to an authorized service location. May end up a regret. Seems to just be throwing expensive parts at jt( that I’ve already done). I will keep you updated if I find a solution. Sorry for the delayed response.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Sometimes you just gotta take it in and get stuff fixed. Curious to know the outcome. Good luck!
MUFOSTAA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MUFOSTAA »

So, a month later and a lot of back and forth between myself, the service facility and the ESAB representative. Replaced the air assembly and that solved everything. Maybe the solenoid was sticking or a delay in the signal. Either way, it is fixed and I’m cutting without codes… for now!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Glad to hear you are back in action! Great news!
David
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Great news, good thing you broke down and took it in. Thanks for posting your solution.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”