Fill in color inside DXF files

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
monicaFHM
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Fill in color inside DXF files

Post by monicaFHM »

So I'm still new at working with DXF files and I was wondering what is the best way to fill in an outlined DXF file? I have bought some and would like to post / mockup and example (this I know how to do very well in PS) but still haven't gotten the hang of DXF. I did try loading the DXF in Inkscape and then using the pain bucket fill, and while it did fill in some, it was not very good at all.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Fill in color inside DXF files

Post by plasmanewbie »

In the software I have experience with the fill will not work unless the object is a closed object. Often the lines will look connected or strung together but it is still not 1 closed object. I am not sure what command does this in Inkscape so hopefully one the Inkscape pro's here can help you.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Fill in color inside DXF files

Post by acourtjester »

A quick way to see if there are open lines is load it into SheetCam and plan a cut operation. If it is closed you can move the starting point all around the parts cut path.
In Inkscape you need to check if the file click on view then display mode to see if it is in normal or outline. you cannot fill an outline click on normal and it will the be able to be filled, using the fill and stroke function.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Inkscape”