Automatic path closer ?????

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Billythegoat
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Automatic path closer ?????

Post by Billythegoat »

So I get a dxf from PS. Work it into my drawing in Inkscape. Then onto sheetcam where it shows me all of the nasty open paths...... Grrrrrr Is there an option in inkscape to close all open paths? I have googled this for an hour
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Automatic path closer ?????

Post by acourtjester »

First are you sure all the paths are to be closed some drawings will have lines that are not in there as closed paths, just saying.
Now the way you close paths that should be a closed path, you would use the node tool. This may be hard to explain see attached images. Images 1 & 2 should be flipped in order to show lines are not highlighted together first. :lol:
You cannot join 2 lines unless they are highlighted together, then you click on one node and hold the shift key down and click on the second node they both should show blue. Now go to the node tools and click on the connect node tool, the lines will become connected.
Node1.JPG
Node1.JPG (36.85 KiB) Viewed 614 times
node 4.JPG
node 4.JPG (31.08 KiB) Viewed 614 times
node 3.JPG
node 3.JPG (38.41 KiB) Viewed 614 times
node 2.JPG
node 2.JPG (29.79 KiB) Viewed 614 times
node 5.JPG
node 5.JPG (36.15 KiB) Viewed 614 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Look in SheetCam. You can change some settings, and fudge the import link tolerance. It's under Options/Application options/Drawing Import/import link tolerance. Try moving the # up a bit..
Billythegoat
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Billythegoat »

Thanks courtjester, as always you give very detailed and informative explanations, but I'm hoping to select a whole drawing and click a magic button and then all open paths that I can not see will be magically closed ---POOF!--

Thanks Brand X, definately going to try that out. Sometimes I will get a drawing fixed up for sheetcam and cut it out good. Then I'll use the same drawing that I used in inkscape and scale it larger, resend to sheetcam and find more open paths Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Guess you can't put a price on free DXF's!

Thanks again guys
Billythegoat
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Billythegoat »

Worked great Brand X , much appreciated. Going to add that to memory. nothing like a good old fashioned shortcut!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks Billythegoat and Brand X, as has it happens a question is asked on Plasma Spider and different answers are supplied. I did not know about the option in SheetCam. It show you are never too old to learn :lol:
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

My Info came from Les at Sheetcam. Told me about it 15 years ago.. Not only are you not too old to learn but not too old to remember either.. :D

Return to “Inkscape”