Single dot for drill spot

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
FazQuaz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Single dot for drill spot

Post by FazQuaz »

In inkscape, how do I make a single dot. I use this for Plasma center punching a spot. In Sheetcam I check the box "use Points for drilling" and all points will show up that can be plasma center punched. How do I get this single point with inkscape?
Star Lab NGEN 4x8
PowerMax 85
Linux/Command CNC
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Single dot for drill spot

Post by plasmanewbie »

Try drawing a .001" circle. I do that in CorelDraw and it works for me.
xring
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by xring »

There is another way to do this, if you can't find a way to make a point. Put a small circle on the point you want to pierce, instead of a point. Then, in Sheetcam, move the circles to a new layer, I call it Drill. Then before making the jet cutting operation, make a drill operation, and specify the layer Drill. Fill in the boxes with min and max hole size, make sure the small holes you made to mark the locations fall in this range. Then create your normal cutting operation as usual, specifying the other layer.

When cutting, it will first peck mark the locations from the drill operation, then continue on to the cut.

It takes longer to explain than to do it, it's really easy once you get used to creating a drill operation. It isn't even necessary to create the Drill layer if there aren't any other holes of a similar size, I just like to do it that way to avoid confusion. I'm sure there are better ways than mine.

Good luck!
Bill
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

xring wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:35 am There is another way to do this, if you can't find a way to make a point. Put a small circle on the point you want to pierce, instead of a point. Then, in Sheetcam, move the circles to a new layer, I call it Drill. Then before making the jet cutting operation, make a drill operation, and specify the layer Drill. Fill in the boxes with min and max hole size, make sure the small holes you made to mark the locations fall in this range. Then create your normal cutting operation as usual, specifying the other layer.

When cutting, it will first peck mark the locations from the drill operation, then continue on to the cut.

It takes longer to explain than to do it, it's really easy once you get used to creating a drill operation. It isn't even necessary to create the Drill layer if there aren't any other holes of a similar size, I just like to do it that way to avoid confusion. I'm sure there are better ways than mine.

Good luck!
Bill
Bill,
Do you have a screen shot of this is sheetcam. I tried doing something similar to this and I am on Post 27c in sheetcam for command CNC. My torch just dragged on the plate and never even raised up. Thanks.
T.J.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Here is a simple way to do it, and just use the normal post processor to have the ohmic sensor or floating head switch to position the torch.
When using my CAD program you just do the same as in Inkscape start with a larger circle and position it where you want X and Y coordinates then reduce the circle size to 0.001" you will not be able to see it on the screen but it is there when you save and got to SheetCam.

https://youtu.be/zdrNc_BBMVA setup in Inkscape.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-itiR ... I_y-FX8TKe video of it being done on my table
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TJS

Post by TJS »

I did that for drawing the points.
I think I am doing something wrong in sheet cam in regards to the drill tool. Tried is last nite and all the torch did was drag. All I had was a choice of inside offset or outside offset. I would like to see "Xring's" screen shot in sheetcam.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Do not use drill points this is an only plasma operation which has the touch off operation.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
xring
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by xring »

TJS wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:46 am I did that for drawing the points.
I think I am doing something wrong in sheet cam in regards to the drill tool. Tried is last nite and all the torch did was drag. All I had was a choice of inside offset or outside offset. I would like to see "Xring's" screen shot in sheetcam.
Here are pics of the sheetcam main screen, drill tool setup, and the finished cut. Mine is the most recent toolset from CandCNC.
It touches off before each peck pierce.
Hope it helps!
Bill
Attachments
20190721_144636.jpg
20190721_140635.jpg
20190721_140624.jpg

Return to “Inkscape”