"T" intersection

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

"T" intersection

Post by Jfile »

Can someone tell me if it's possible to join a node from a line that is intersecting along another line? In other words, let's say I have a line and I add a node somewhere near the center of that line. Then I want to join the end of another line in a perpendicular fashion to create something like a "T" intersection. Inkscape doesn't seem to want to allow me to do that.

Can I just place the nodes on top of each other as closely as I can get them? Will it still cut properly?

Thanks!
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: "T" intersection

Post by acourtjester »

I tried to do what you wanted but the 2 lines would not join, even with the node placed on the line and the combine function used.
I think you may be able to do it by having them being 2 cutting operations where the junction is the end of a cutting operation. ;)
I tried using the join, combine, and group to make them connect but no go. :(
join 4.JPG
join 4.JPG (20.32 KiB) Viewed 558 times
join 5.JPG
join 5.JPG (18.91 KiB) Viewed 558 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

If you consider that the objects (shapes) in Inkscape are closed objects or individual lines with a single beginning and end, you can understand why you can't join them. Logically a closed path (rectangle, square, cirle has to have the beginning tied to the end so a line hanging off the side breaks the beginning/ending rule. A single line or series of lines has a beginning and end but you can't attach another line since which end does it use? For accent lines you have to use individual lines that do not overlap or break open a closed object turning it to a polyline and make the line an extension of the beginnign or ending of the then polyline. In a drawing program think in terms of "objects" and how you would make a continuous cut without having to reverse back down a segment to complete the cut. I describe drawing for plasma cutting like cutting out full shapes in paper (paper dolls) . You can only cut a line once and if there two ways it could go its not a valid shape you can make in one cut.
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

Thank you. That makes perfect sense when you put it like that.
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam

Return to “Inkscape”