Linking/joining dxf before export

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Linking/joining dxf before export

Post by adbuch »

Is there a method to link/join the individual line/arc segments in a trace or svg before saving (exporting) as a dxf. As an example, here is a recent file posted on another thread.
Lighthouse image.PNG
Lighthouse image.PNG (18.07 KiB) Viewed 958 times
Lighthouse svg.svg
(30.81 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
After saving from Inkscape as a dxf, the file looks like this when opened in Design Edge.
Lighthouse dxf from Inkscape - many individual line and arc segments.jpg
After linking/joining the individual segments the file looks like this.
Lighthouse dxf from Inkscape after linking-joining individual line arc segments.jpg
If it is not possible to link the individual segments before saving (exporting) as a dxf from Inkscape, then what methods are typically used to accomplish this for those not using Design Edge, VCarve Pro, or any of the other pricey programs? I have found that if I import the dxf file produced by Inkscape into LightBurn and then export from LightBurn as dxf, it links/joins the individual segments resulting in all closed paths and no intersections. Are there other inexpensive or free programs that will accomplish this?

I have a friend who is just getting into plasma cutting and is learning Inkscape and needs to import his dxf files into Fusion 360 to create cut paths and gcode. If the imported dxf files are not linked, then this causes problems trying to easily create the cut paths.
Fusion 360 - before linking.jpg
If they are linked, then his file looks like this and he is "good to go".
Fusion 360 - after linking.jpg
Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated.
David
acourtjester

Re: Linking/joining dxf before export

Post by acourtjester »

As talked about above sometime it take a group of programs to get where you want to be. Since many programs use different versions of DXF or other formats for storage, others don't see them the same way. If some files posted here do not work with the program you use. Look around for other programs that you can use to make things work. There are many free programs and and some reasonable priced ones you can get to manipulate the files until you get what you want. Sometime it takes working with a few to clean up a file to one that is workable for you. this is really true if you want to make layers from a single drawing. Sometime back a member (rdj357 ) showed me how to use the paint program to break an image apart. I manipulated a function in paint and saved each change as a part and then used Inkscape to collect them into a useable file. Here is his YouTube Video showing that process
This is a varied group here and we do thing differently, use that as a way to learn things that will work for you, report back with your successes I'm still learning.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for your reply. I watched Robert's video - he makes it look easy. I did open the lighthouse dxf file with Sheetcam and it opened fine. I don't use Sheetcam, but I just wanted to see what the file looked like. I guess the bottom line is that there is no simple method to link/join all the paths from a tracing in Inkscape before exporting/saving as a dxf. I posted this question on the Inkscape forum and the moderator seemed to indicate that it is possible to go in and join the nodes for a particular feature individually, but I tried to figure out how to do it and made no progress.
David
Lighthouse dxf from Inkscape opened in Sheetcam.jpg
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There are node tool in the upper icons to do different things with nodes, here are remove/add and reshape tools.
You select one node the hold the shift key down and select another node directly next to the other node. They will turn blue to show they are selected, then click on the remove tool and they are now unjoined. you can do the same selection to add a bridge between the 2 selected nodes by using the other tool. You can also join 2 elements to make one element the same way. It can be a little harder to select node in different items but it can be done, again they must be adjacent nodes.
Another node tool is to reshape lines between node, click on the line between 2 nodes and the handles will appear (small bubbles). By clicking on a bubble and moving it with the mouse you can reshape that line segment.
anode.JPG
anode 2.JPG
anode 2.JPG (104.08 KiB) Viewed 923 times
anode 3.JPG
anode 3.JPG (80.83 KiB) Viewed 923 times
anode 4.JPG
anode 4.JPG (35.07 KiB) Viewed 923 times
anode 5.JPG
anode 6.JPG
anode 6.JPG (36.72 KiB) Viewed 923 times
anode 7.JPG
anode 7.JPG (43.82 KiB) Viewed 923 times
nodes reshape.JPG
nodes reshape.JPG (84.29 KiB) Viewed 923 times
nodes reshaped 2.JPG
nodes reshaped 2.JPG (78.74 KiB) Viewed 923 times
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for your reply with details about node editing. I had posted this same question on the Inkscape forum here.

https://inkscape.org/forums/questions/l ... 944#c16944

It was pointed out to me that the solution to make this Lighthouse file "Fusion 360" friendly was to delete some of the nodes from the problematic closed paths. This is not the same thing as linking/joining all the discreet paths in Design Edge, but it produces the same end result as far as successfully importing the file into Fusion 360.

To quote the Inkscape forum moderator,
"Fusion is one fussy program. All the others I tried had no issue with the dxf. I haven't totally got it sussed, but it seems Fusion doesn't like nodes with single or one very short Bezier handle"

"If there is a problem, I look for tight clusters, duplicate nodes and other nodes that serve no purpose. If a shape will stay the same if nodes are removed, I'll take them out.
It can be lot of trial and error, but there may be clues to developing best practices.
Traced images in particular can have an abundance of extra nodes. Sometimes "Simplify Path" can help, sometimes it can't."

i was able to successfully edit/delete nodes to create a "Fusion 360 friendly" file.
Thanks,
David
Lighthouse node editing successful.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

By the way, the Inkscape dxf is about 1/2 the size of the dxf created with Design Edge. I never realized this until tonight. It loads much quicker into Fusion 360. Most folks won't have Design Edge, and if they did they would have no reason to do plasma cutting with Fusion 360. I'm just trying to learn about Inkscape mainly to help others. Inkscape does sometimes trace better than LightBurn, and Design Edge often takes multiple attempts to get the import setting just right. As you said - it is often a joint effort involving multiple programs to achieve the desired end result.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

working on nodes in Inkscape will result in a cleaner file. Here is a video I generated for another member for a different reason but about 1 minute I talk about a node problem where there are many double nodes.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for the post. I will take a look at your video later today.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I watched your video. Nice job! Do you have your videos posted on Youtube?
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I have some videos on Youtube (a varied selection of videos under courtjester90), but many more on the Google drive. I have a large number of Inkscape videos some I made and other I downloaded that help me learn things about Inkscape (nowhere near an expert, but can do OK :HaHa ). I will post a link for the Google drive for you to download the videos from there if wanted.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

OK. Thanks.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:10 am I have some videos on Youtube (a varied selection of videos under courtjester90), but many more on the Google drive. I have a large number of Inkscape videos some I made and other I downloaded that help me learn things about Inkscape (nowhere near an expert, but can do OK :HaHa ). I will post a link for the Google drive for you to download the videos from there if wanted.
Could you post the Google drive link?
Thanks,
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Happy the help
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
this is for linked offset for maybe putting a boarder around letters or objects.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “Inkscape”