Inkscape dancing with other software

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Inkscape dancing with other software

Post by acourtjester »

There have been posts about software packages not playing nice, one place is loading other DXF files into Inkscape. Here ia trick I found the other day, I had downloaded Shane Warnick's "Blue Lives Matter" DXF file. It did not open in Inkscape and not sure but I think there was a small problem with SheetCam (not bad). I have used QCAD to convert other DXF files to a workable file in the past, but this is a different way. I opened it in QCAD and it look great, (normally I would save it with one of the DFX format listed there) this time I use a different function under file. This time I used "Advanced SVG Export" and change the name a small bit so I could ID it for importing into Inkscape. Now when I saved it a menu came up showing the image size to be 16.69 X 18 (page size), but when I imported it into Inkscape it was very small. I locked the aspect ratio Icon and increased the size to 16" Wide (either wide or high can be use if locked together). This made the image the size I wanted but very large lines showing as shown in attached image. I now went to View and then display and clicked on outline, this produced a corrected line size image and I save it as DXF (SVG could also work) for loading into SheetCam. This may not work all the time but it is a work around to get to the end of file corrections if needed.
blue problem 1.jpg
blue problem 1.jpg (26.05 KiB) Viewed 408 times
blue problem 3.jpg
blue problem 3.jpg (43.8 KiB) Viewed 408 times
blue problem 2.JPG
blue problem 2.JPG (20.85 KiB) Viewed 408 times
blue problem 4.JPG
blue problem 5.JPG
and a different problem with a different import into SheetCam unknown origin of file but you can see lines with problems
blue lives problem 1.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Inkscape dancing with other software

Post by DieselFumes »

Nice find acoortjester, thanks for sharing your work around. I also have found Inkscape to not play well with many dxf files and had limited success with Qcad and had pretty much given up on using both until I found this link https://plasmaspider.com/viewforum.php?f=200

Now I have deleted Qcad and use this to convert dxf files to svg and have not had a single problem since! Its fantastic! All the files this converts to svg for me open in Inkscape without issue and it is so fast and easy. Just another option and a great one at that.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks for passing that along the more tools we have the easier the work :HaHa
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for the information! Might come in handy for me one of these days.
David
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

My pleasure guys, I have received so much good advice from here but have little to give back so if that helps anyone I'm happy :Yay

Return to “Inkscape”