Laptop Crashed...got a new one have ?

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Laptop Crashed...got a new one have ?

Post by TJS »

So my laptop bit the dust. Had an incident with my kids with juice (but that is another story).
Anyway. I got a new laptop and they place offered a free service if I bring in the drive from my old laptop they would load the data on there from that drive. Well, they missed tons of files and my inkscape looks different from what it was on my old laptop. The measuring tool (ruler icnon on the left) is gone. I also had predefined custom table 48 x 96 (inches) to denote my table. It is still there but the Y axis is the wrong direction. As you scroll down the numbers get larger. Therefore my left lower corner is X=0 and Y=96. How to do I get the tape measure icon back and how do I fix it so it is 0,0 lower left corner. I am going back to the place today to have them pull more files from my SATA(SP) drive.
Thanks.
T.J.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Laptop Crashed...got a new one have ?

Post by acourtjester »

With Inkscape you can go under file to properties and reconfigure it as you want then save it with a selected name in a folder. Now go to that folded and find that file and right click on it, when the menu comes up select create shortcut and put it on the desktop. When it shows on the desktop click on it and rename it to like Inkscape A. Now when you want to start Inkscape click on that Icon and it will start with the changes already made.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TJS

Post by TJS »

I did that. I called it "Inkscape Inches". I still think I have the wrong version.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok maybe they put Inkscape 1.0 on there inplace of coping yours from the hard drive. Version 0.92 is the older one.
inkscape 1.0.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TJS

Post by TJS »

I found the answer.
Here is from the help release notes: I am not a fan of change...

Measurement Tool
Hovering over a path with the tool now displays the length, height, width, and position of the path. If you hover over a group, it will show the width, height, and position of the group. Holding Shift switches to showing info about the constituents of the group.

The tool also has a new option to only measure selected objects when using click-and-drag.

Y-Axis Inversion
TJS

Post by TJS »

Y-Axis Inversion
a significant change by Thomas Holder was integrated into the Inkscape codebase. It sets the origin of the document to the top left corner of the page. This finally makes the coordinates that a user can see in the interface match the ones that are saved in the SVG data.

To change it back go to Edit Preferences Interface and disable 'Origin in upper left with y-axis pointing down

Return to “Inkscape”