Inkscape- can't cut squares, make signs, etc

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Maximusde34
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Inkscape- can't cut squares, make signs, etc

Post by Maximusde34 »

Newbie here, big problem. I need to make signs but can't cut squares at all. I can make text but the square doesn't come out or it covers the letters and nothing works at all. I don't particularly like Inkscape as it's way too much for plasma cutting and know next to nothing about it. How do you draw a shape, put letters in it and cut the whole damn thing out?? How do I add an image here for you to see?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Inkscape- can't cut squares, make signs, etc

Post by acourtjester »

to add an image click on the "Full Editor& Preview" just below, you may need to scroll the screen down to see the "Attachments" box click on that.
under that will appear a box with "add files" click on that and it opens that feature, which is for you to navagate to where the file/image is stored on you Hard Drive, Click on the file and it will attach it to your post. If you are trying to send a screenshot, windows has a program called Snipping tool on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Click on that and pull a box around the area on the screen you want to copy. Save that to you hard drive and attach it to your post. Show what your problem looks like for help.
snipping.JPG
snipping.JPG (41.67 KiB) Viewed 466 times
snipping 2.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Maximusde34 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:17 pm Newbie here, big problem. I need to make signs but can't cut squares at all. I can make text but the square doesn't come out or it covers the letters and nothing works at all. I don't particularly like Inkscape as it's way too much for plasma cutting and know next to nothing about it. How do you draw a shape, put letters in it and cut the whole damn thing out?? How do I add an image here for you to see?
Hi Jason,
I don't normally use Inkscape for creating drawings, but here is how I would create a simple sign for cutting.
David

Step 1 - Draw rectangle. You can click on the rectangle shape on tool bar or type "R".
Step 1  - draw rectangle.jpg
Step 2 - Draw text. Click on the Text icon on the tool bar or just type "T".
Step 2 - Draw Text.jpg
Step 3 - Drag text to place on rectangle.
Step 3 - Drag text to place on rectangle.jpg
Step 4 - With the text selected use the Path, Object to Path command to vectorize the text.
Step 4 - Path, Object to Path.jpg
Steps 5 and 6 - Save as dxf.
Step 5 - Save as dxf.jpg
Step 6 - Options, click OK.jpg
Step 7 - Import dxf and create cut paths.
Step 7 - Import dxf and create cut paths.jpg
Maximusde34
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Maximusde34 »

Thank you. I've picked this up fairly quickly since before I hadn't had much time to learn it.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Glad we were able to help you. Let us know if you have more questions.
David

Return to “Inkscape”