DXF files not opening in Inkscape? Here's the solution.

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Pspider Support
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

DXF files not opening in Inkscape? Here's the solution.

Post by Pspider Support »

Inkscape is great software and best of all it is free, however it leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to opening DXF files. Inkscape just doesn't like DXF's and most will not open.

SVG file format is definitely preferred by Inkscape but you need software to convert your DXF to an SVG. Convertio is a free online tool that will eliminate the need for additional software.

Just upload your DXF, convert it, download the SVG, and open it in Inkscape. give it a try here Convertio DXF Converter
Pspider Support
Contact Me via PM
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: DXF files not opening in Inkscape? Here's the solution.

Post by adbuch »

I saw this thread when it was first posted - sorry for my late response. I have found that Convertio often does not do a good job of converting from dxf to svg. Here is an example. I have converted the original dxf file with both LightBurn and CorelDraw and opened with Inkscape and they look fine. Lastly I have converted the same original dxf file to svg format using Convertio and it has problems - as shown in the last image below.

My best advise is to purchase LightBurn for $65 (perpetual license) and use it for these conversions. LightBurn also has many other useful tools and features such as auto-trace, node edit, convert to dxf, etc. I would recommend downloading the free trial version to try it out.

David

https://lightburnsoftware.com/pages/tri ... re-you-buy
Convertio 1.jpg
Convertio 2.jpg
Convertio 3.jpg
Convertio 4 - BOE converted with LightBurn and opened with Inkscape.jpg
Convertio 4 - BOE converted with CorelDraw and opened with Inkscape.jpg
Convertio 4 - BOE converted with Convertio and opened with Inkscape.jpg
biggscoug
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by biggscoug »

That is my experience with convertio. Terrible. I will give lightburn a shot. Thank you for this.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Inkscape will open dxf R13 format. Use QCad (free download) to convert from dxf R14 to dxf R13 format and then your file will open with Inkscape just fine. If you wish to convert to svg, then I recommend using LightBurn (cost $65 for perpetual license) to import/open dxf R14 and save/export as svg.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

AREA
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by AREA »

I have had pretty good luck with Convertio but it hasn't converted everything well. It's almost like you have a numerous ways to convert dxfs and use whatever one works best for the dxf your working with.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

AREA wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:14 am I have had pretty good luck with Convertio but it hasn't converted everything well. It's almost like you have a numerous ways to convert dxfs and use whatever one works best for the dxf your working with.
The latest version of Inkscape will open DXF R14 files directly - so no more need to convert to SVG first before importing to Inkscape.
David
Inkscape version 1.2.1.jpg
AREA
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by AREA »

I typically don't like to update when something is working but this seems like worthy improvement. Will give it a go, thanks David.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

AREA wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:55 am I typically don't like to update when something is working but this seems like worthy improvement. Will give it a go, thanks David.
Same here. When I first installed it, I still had the older version of Inkscape installed as well. But once I started to use the newer version, I was liking it better. The newer version also has a much nicer Trace Bitmap screen with automatically updating preview as you adjust the Threshold.

So you can have multiple versions of Inkscape installed and running at the same time. This is a good way to try it out to see if you like it.

David
new inkscape.jpg
AREA
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by AREA »

Great info, thanks again David.

Return to “Inkscape”