Lines added to dxf when edited with Inkscape

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Pyro1983
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Lines added to dxf when edited with Inkscape

Post by Pyro1983 »

As I use inkscape more and more, I've noticed that every file I save as a dxf an then reopen with myplasm has these weird lines in a corner..usually the upper left. I have to delete them everytime or they'll be cut. They do not appear in inkscape. Is this something I can fix in inkscape?
20221215_195336.jpg
20221215_195350.jpg
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Artifacts added when edited with inkscape

Post by acourtjester »

This may sound odd but you may have that saved in the Inkscape background, and it alway appears in your new projects. Sometime back I saved a file with Inkscape that had some of the pre-setup functions done and used that as my base to start Inkscape each time. This saved time in that the parameters I wanted would be setup at each new start, this was a suggestion by another member then. This was done by saving a file with only the parameter setup but no actual project in Inkscape. I created an desktop Icon of the file and I used that in place of the normal Inkscape start. It's like finding a Inkscape project on the HD and clicking on it to open Inkscape, just like you can do with a word Doc. If you save this to you HD and then click on this svg file it will open Inkscape with a very small A in the display in a larger than normal display, in place of the regular blank screen, without the menu on the right side.
Inkscape start.svg
(2.05 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Pyro1983
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pyro1983 »

But if thats the case, shouldnt they show up on inkscape as well?
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Can you upload the dxf that has these lines? I am curious to open it with something other than myplasm and see if those lines show up.
Pyro1983
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Lines added to dxf when edited with Inkscape

Post by Pyro1983 »

Here it is.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I opened your file in a couple of other programs and saw those lines also. I am not much of an Inkscape user but I wonder if restoring your factory default settings might resolve this. Maybe someone else can chime in and confirm if that is a good idea or not.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I opened you file with Design Edge and the lines show. Save your file with the lines as svg and post here so we can take a look. If you are saving all of your Inkscape files as dxf, try saving them as svg instead to see if this makes a difference. This may also just be a problem with your myplasm program. Try creating a file with another drawing program (Fusion 360, LightBurn (free trial), etc. ) and see of the lines appear when you open these files with myplasm.

David
lines from inkscape.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Nice file by the way! Was this a manual trace, auto trace, or???
Thanks,
David
christmas truck.jpg
Pyro1983
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pyro1983 »

adbuch wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:44 pm Nice file by the way! Was this a manual trace, auto trace, or???
Thanks,
David

christmas truck.jpg
This was actually in a package I had purchased. Right now I'm fighting with Inkscape again. The lines are easy enough to just delete..but I am having one heck of a time getting font to union with designs. I had it working last night, wrote down the steps I took to make it work, tried it again tonight and it no longer works!!! It just does nothing when I try to union. Really pulling my hair out. Is there a better/easier free software? Seems inkscape has changed some and all youtube tutorials aren't accurate anymore.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Inkscape has made changes in the last few versions, some are not neat. But I did not write the code, so it just learn to live with it. Just for something to try, remove them and then save that file and reopen it to see if they come back on their own. If so you may be able to call attention to the Inkscape group as a bug. I am using 1.2.1 version came out july of this year, The screen looks clear when I open it up (blank nothing).
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

My suggestion would be to save your file as svg and post it here. If you are working in outline mode, type "4" to zoom extents and the lines should be visible in the upper left corner. If you are working in normal display mode, then these lines may not be visible due to a small or zero stroke width assigned to them. If that is the case, then they may be left over from a previous file you were working within the same Inkscape window.

Tom - I actually like the newest Inkscape version better than the older one. The only thing I miss is that in the old version Ctrl Z and Ctrl Shift Z would be shown when you right click the mouse, whereas the new version does not. I liked the fact that it would tell me what command I am Undoing or Redoing.

Perhaps there is a way to customize the right click drop down menu. I'll have to look into that.

David
old inkscape version.jpg
new inkscape version.jpg

Return to “Inkscape”