Inkscape: Drawing to Scale

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Rickzink
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Inkscape: Drawing to Scale

Post by Rickzink »

I have a customer that is requesting I design and cut his address and street. The design doesn’t appear to be overly difficult but the size he is requesting is fairly exact.

I haven’t had occasion to draw something to a tight dimension. How can I do this using Inkscape?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Inkscape: Drawing to Scale

Post by acourtjester »

There are locations in the top tool bar for the W and H dimensions. You highlight your item and then change either for the size you want. Select inch or MM for you scale.
inkscape size.JPG
inkscape size.JPG (22.12 KiB) Viewed 526 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

As Tom said, just select your drawing and then enter your desired size for width and height in the boxes on the top line. If you wish to keep the aspect ratio the same, then check the box to lock the x and y dimensions together so that they scale in proportion to each other.

David
heart with hole 1.jpg
heart with hole 1.jpg (60.77 KiB) Viewed 524 times
Rickzink
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Rickzink »

Thanks to everyone for their guidance. I wasx thinking it was more complicated than that but your input was spot on exact and the design turned out perfectly sized.

Now I just gotta figure out what is going on with my table. I developed an issue as I was cutting yesterday. Ill post it in the appropriate location.

Thanks again.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Rickzink wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:33 pm Thanks to everyone for their guidance. I wasx thinking it was more complicated than that but your input was spot on exact and the design turned out perfectly sized.

Now I just gotta figure out what is going on with my table. I developed an issue as I was cutting yesterday. Ill post it in the appropriate location.

Thanks again.
We were happy to help. Show us your finished drawing so we can see how you worked it out.
Thanks,
David

Return to “Inkscape”