Font changing on different systems

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Jb_engineering
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Font changing on different systems

Post by Jb_engineering »

Hi, i do the majority of my design work at home, but when i get into the workshop and check over the file, i notice that when ive added text to a design it will change to a different font. Im assuming this is maybe to do with different versions of inkscape. Is there a way to stop this happening? I always select object/stroke to path but it still seems to do it.
Thanks.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Font changing on different systems

Post by adbuch »

Arial Font Inkscape created with Inkscape 1.2.1.svg image.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Chris - I created the above file on my office computer using Inkscape ver. 1.2.1. Both text and then converted using "Object to Path".
I am now on one of the shop computers running an older Inkscape version. Here is the result.
Arial Font Inkscape created with Inkscape 1.2.1 opened with 1.0.2-2.jpg
The font has not changed. Perhaps post one of your problematic files so we can have a look. I know of no reason that the font should magically change on it's own.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

beeson1987 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:17 am Hi, i do the majority of my design work at home, but when i get into the workshop and check over the file, i notice that when ive added text to a design it will change to a different font. Im assuming this is maybe to do with different versions of inkscape. Is there a way to stop this happening? I always select object/stroke to path but it still seems to do it.
Thanks.
Chris - perhaps show us an example file and let us know what you are trying to accomplish. Object to Path and Stroke to Path do two different things so it would be helpful to see exactly how you are using these tools.
David
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

Is the font installed on both PC's?
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
Jb_engineering

Post by Jb_engineering »

Its a stencil font that i used, yet when i put it in worksop setup, it changes to arial. I assumed its that maybe the fonts differ on different vetsions. Ive just had to type the text that i want in the workshop instead. Thanks for advice.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

ROKCRLER is spot on I think. If the other computer does not have the same font it will be substituted with a different font. The way around this is either to install the missing font onto the other computer or save your design as an svg before bringing it over to the other PC. Once saves as a svg vector file the other computer doesn't even know it is letters or a font, its just lines and arcs on the screen like anything else. The downside to the second option is for example you spelled something wrong or wanted to change the font you can't change it by just using the text tool, you will need to go back to your original design to make the text edits.
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

I use 3 different PC's to work in, 2 desktops, 1 laptop. I save all my fonts on OneDrive in a Fonts folder and have to install on each PC depending which one I download the fonts to. This keeps them all current.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

weldguy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:26 am .... or save your design as an svg before bringing it over to the other PC. Once saves as a svg vector file the other computer doesn't even know it is letters or a font, its just lines and arcs on the screen like anything else. The downside to the second option is for example you spelled something wrong or wanted to change the font you can't change it by just using the text tool, you will need to go back to your original design to make the text edits.
Exactly! Inkscape saves in svg format by default. When Chris says "I always select object/stroke to path but it still seems to do it" I had assumed he meant he did this before saving as svg to transfer to the shop computer. But if he is doing this after the file has been transferred and he has left the lettering as "Text" before saving as svg on the original computer, and the shop computer does not have the original font he used installed, then this will happen. It would be nice to get some clarification from Chris as to the details here.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

beeson1987 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:58 am Its a stencil font that i used, yet when i put it in worksop setup, it changes to arial. I assumed its that maybe the fonts differ on different vetsions. Ive just had to type the text that i want in the workshop instead. Thanks for advice.
The implication here is that you do have the stencil font in question on both the office and shop computers, since you say that you have just had to type the text that you want in the workshop instead. Are you typing it on the workshop computer using the same font? Clarification here would be appreciated.

David
Jb_engineering

Post by Jb_engineering »

I worked out that the home version has 'stencil' font, but the shop version doesnt,although it does have one calles 'stencil-export' im assuming this is why. Sorry for being vague.
Sorry for being a newb, but when you say save as svg do you just mean the text or the whole workpiece? As i just add my text etc, group it and then save the whole thing. Il post up the file to let you see when i have chance.
Thanks again for comments.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Chris - I had assumed you were saving the entire file you created - including text already incorporated into your design - as svg. If you left the text as "text" before saving, then it should open as "text" on the shop computer. But if the shop computer does not have that exact "stencil" font installed, then if you left it in text format that is why it converted it to the default font.

If you originally had used either "Path, Object to Path" or "Path, Stroke to Path" on the text during your design phase, then it would have been converted to vector format and would have remain unchanged when you opened it on the shop computer. The implementation of either of these "conversions" will depend on your design goals and how you wish to incorporate the text into your finished design.

I'm not sure how you could really incorporate text into a design to be cut unless the text is first converted to vector format. But maybe you were doing your design with text as text format, and expected to do the final editing/conversion on the other computer. In that case, you could have saved the file as svg with the drawing portion in vector format and the text portion in text format, then opened it with the second instance of Inkscape on the other computer to finish converting your text to vector format and incorporating the result into your design. Perhaps if you show us what you are doing with an example it will be easier for us to understand.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Chris - here is an example where text is automatically converted to vector format without using the "Path, Object to Path" or "Path, Stroke to Path" tools. But one way or another, it needs to end up in vector format for Sheetcam or whatever cam program you are using to recognize it.
"Path, Combine" and several others will also convert the text to vector format.

David
before 1.jpg
before 2.jpg
before 3.jpg
before 4.jpg

Return to “Inkscape”