cost of Patina vs paint

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
mkingaz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

cost of Patina vs paint

Post by mkingaz »

Wow, I'm just learning about Patina and researching cost. This seems extremely expensive. I cut my first tathered flag and was looking in Patina finish but the cost of the paint is crazy. So when you purchase a kit of 4oz bottles, this does not even seem like enough.

How are the art people making a living painting with Patina and selling products?

Thanks,
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: cost of Patina vs paint

Post by steelfx »

Not sure what you're researching that seems so expensive. Kandies? Small Bottles of Dyes from Brand X? Most of my customers do their flags with Metal Dyes or Alcohol Inks (Same Price for Either), followed by a high-quality clear-coat.
Some folks will use FLAME F/X or BLUE HALO liquid patinas for the star-field, and the White Alcohol Ink or White Dye for the White Stripes, but there is not yet a patina that will produce a Scarlet Red on Bare Steel.
If you don't me jumping on a soapbox regarding clear-coats...Single Stage (Rattle-Can), Clears Suck. You won't ever get the film thickness or UV protection that you will from a 2-Stage Clear. 2-Stage just means that the clear is catalyzed before use, and it's so easy to mix and shoot that I could teach a 3 yr. old to do it.
If you use quality products for coloring steel and especially clear-coating the proper way, your pieces will command the highest prices.
Keep in mind that patinas and dyes are NOT paints. They don't "hide" the polished steel underneath.
Here's a few links: Thanks,
Bill
TATTERED U.S. FLAG_PATINA & DYE FINISH_STEELFXPATINAS.COM.jpg
TATTERED U.S. FLAG_PATINA & DYE FINISH_EXAMPLE 2_STEELFXPATINAS.COM.jpg
TATTERED U.S. FLAG_PATINA & DYE FINISH_V3_STEELFXPATINAS.COM.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

mkingaz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mkingaz »

That's excellent info. Thank you so much.
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

You're very welcome.
Bill

Return to “Patina Finishes”