Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
_jay_
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate

Post by _jay_ »

Hi,

Has any one used Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate (CuSO4.5H2O) to make patinas on CR steel ?

Seems to create transfer of copper ions thus covering the metal surface with copper.
The learning curve is exponential AKA "never ends " !
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate

Post by Nacs Fab »

I bought some Copper Sulfate and mixed it in with distilled water and it produced copper on steel, but i just cannot get the mix ratio right enough to suit me. I just decided its much more consistent to use Steel FX Products rather than wasting time messing up artwork.
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
4Dscreenart
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 4Dscreenart »

I use copper sulfate all the time. As far as consistency just use the same measurement every time. I use 1/4 cup per gallon shake it up good and pour it into a spray bottle as needed.
GOME
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by GOME »

Try adding a tablespoon of sulfuric acid with your copper sulfate, you will be amazed at the durability, consistency, and speed with which the copper plates out.
AREA
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by AREA »

GOME wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:25 am Try adding a tablespoon of sulfuric acid with your copper sulfate, you will be amazed at the durability, consistency, and speed with which the copper plates out.
I will give that a try, thanks for the tip.

Return to “Patina Finishes”