Need recommendation for black dye for engraving over

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Need recommendation for black dye for engraving over

Post by adbuch »

I have not used any of the metal dies before. I am interested in creating some small name plates (about 4" x 6") from 18 ga. cr steel. My thought was to apply a black dye, and then engrave the lettering with my Plasmacam engraver. I have done this before with painted pieces, but the paint chips off along the edges of the engraved lines. I was looking at the Steel FX die shown below.

I don't necessarily need black. But just some darker color for contrast so the engraved letters/numbers are easier to read.

Are there less expensive alternatives? How many square feet can be covered with an 8 oz. bottle of the Steel FX dye? What about using a Sharpie Magnum or DyeChem spray? Your thoughts please.

Thanks,
David

https://steelfxpatinas.com/shop/8-oz-metal-solvent-dye/
fx dye.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester

Re: Need recommendation for black dye for engraving over

Post by acourtjester »

If you don't mind using Aluminum you can anodize it with different colors, I have seen fabric dyes used to color Aluminum after anodizing.

surface area calculation program info
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom - thanks for those videos. I have never tried to anodize my own parts, so I will need to take a look at those videos when I get some "free time". I am looking at several different ways to to build a box to house this set of thread checkers I just bought. I was going to 3D print it - and either print the sizes recessed and fill with paint, or engrave a metal plate to fit inside the box. I also just bought a Cricut machine to try printing on some adhesive backed vinyl with the sizes printed and the holes cut out to fit over the individual thread tester tools. Here is the set I bought below. Not something I really need, but one of the guys on the Sawmill Creek wood working forum was asking for suggestions on how he should build a box for a similar set, so I thought I would try it just for fun.
David

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08VB ... UTF8&psc=1
nut and bolt thread checker.jpg

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Peter from Germany 3-D printed a similar setup for mounting and marking some similar tools. That was about 2-3 years back you may search for it.
Another 3-D printed method could be raised number sizing, having the top layers printed in a different color. I did a clock face for a buddy sometime back. It is fairly simple to do you just stop the printer at the last flat layer and put a stop in the G-code (m0 I think) them swap out the filament and hit go. I will now print the number layers that color. You can use the preview to find the layer you want to stop.
https://www.google.com/search?q=3-D+pri ... Px5WMwAw33
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Yes - I do remember him perhaps printing some holders for plasma cutting consumables. Not sure if it was Peter, but he did send me the 3d files for the holder. That is a great idea to print the numbers/letters raised with a different colors by swapping out the filament color. I do have a dual independent head printer and I had thought about printing the text imbedded, but flush with the surface. This is something I have not done before except with a canned file where I printed some dice. I watched a Fusion 360 tutorial on how to do it, but it sort of looked like a pain to do. For printing the text on the top, this might be easier to do with my dual filament printer. I know that 2 bodies are required, one for each color. And they have to be in the same orientation so they line up. I will look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Sorry for the late reply, printing recessed letters or other shapes is not the hard, I use a free 3-D program called 123DDesign. I draw up a DXF file and have shapes as part of the whole item. I extrude the letters/shapes to one height and the outer part slightly higher. I printed back scratchers for 3 guy who live across the street, that way. Each letter needs to be extruded to a height, inside parts of the letters (like the B) need to be extruded to the height of the outside section. All parts need to be combined to one part to finish it up, before printing.
BEN HANDLE.dxf
ben letters2.JPG
ben image.JPG
DSCN4477.JPG
DSCN4476.JPG

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Haha, awesome personalized back scratchers! Love it!

I actually bought an anodizing starter setup a couple years back but have yet to give it a go. It was a little more setup than I anticipated so I just put it off.

I would prefer anodize over dye but for parts that are not aluminum the dye sure looks fast and easy in comparison.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

One thing you could try is Gun Blue, I think you would need to clear coat is right away. It may not have the contrast you are looking for.
I just remember with the 3-D printing for a 2 color one on top of the other. I bought a new printer a AnyCubic, it has a pause button and you then to the remove filament. At the point of the second color, switch filaments using the filament in function that feeds in the second color then resume printing.

I did a clock face for a buddy and this is the way I did it, just find the lay for the background finish and add a the pause in the G-code switch filament and hit go.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom - thanks for sharing. That is a good idea to use the two different colors for the filaments and pause and change color.
David

Return to “Patina Finishes”