Removing powder coat

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Removing powder coat

Post by OTHill »

The most amazing powder coat remover lifts it in minutes.
16464171841881164959584245791315.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Removing powder coat

Post by weldguy »

Wow! I was just thinking the other night that I needed something to remove old powder, going to burn out my compressor trying to sandblast it off. This is a priceless tip and VERY much appreciated. I was just going to start searching for something, will order some of this. Thank you!
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

It occurs to me that this stuff MIGHT be awesome for removing GRAFFITI as well!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Looks like very limited locations to buy, no eBay or Amazon
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I think I’m going to buy a can anyway and try it on graffiti just to see if it does what I think it will do. If it does I’ll buy a couple of cases of it and carry it around in my truck with me and go on my own personal war against graffiti!

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

acourtjester wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:40 pm Looks like very limited locations to buy, no eBay or Amazon
I had some difficulty finding it also. Seems it goes by a couple of different names. I ended up buying some from Grainger and it was called Chisel Gasket Remover but when it delivered the can said SF 790 just like OTHills. Haven't tried it yet but def look at Grainger and don't be fooled by the name :Like
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

OTHill wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:07 pm The most amazing powder coat remover lifts it in minutes.16464171841881164959584245791315.jpg
I wish I had known about that several years ago. The powder coater for to mask off part of the brake pedal assembly for the 1940 Ford hot rod I was building and I had to grind it off for clearance. I probably spent over an hour messing around with it. The only thing I would say is that one needs to very thoroughly mask off any areas where you don't want the powder coat removed so it doesn't get on a good surface by mistake.

But a great product, and thanks for sharing that with us.

David
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Ok finally got an opportunity to try this Loctite SF 790 for stripping powder coat. WOW!!! All i can say is WOW!!! I sprayed a little on and within seconds the powder coat blistered and wiped right off!! Would have taken me 30 minutes to sandblast this part but this stuff stripped in 2 minutes. Highly recommend :Like :Like I still sandblasted the part after just to get a fresh clean surface for the new powder to bite onto but this stuff saved me so much time and effort. Thanks to OTHill for the tip :Like
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks for verification feedback always great when a product works as stated. :Like :Like
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I have not experimented with removing powder coating. Would MEK work? What about Acetone? Has anyone tried Super Strength OVEN CLEANER? I have used that to remove graffiti from walls. The results depend heavily on what kind of spray paint was used. Some falls off, while other paints laugh at oven cleaner. The SF 790 is a powerful paint stripper, so maybe that is why it can remove powder coat so well. I would have the irresistible urge to spray it onto an old car hood, just to see what it would do to the paint. Maybe jealous girlfriends already know about this. :lol: Every job has a tool.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Joe Jones wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:16 pm I have not experimented with removing powder coating. Would MEK work? What about Acetone? Has anyone tried Super Strength OVEN CLEANER? I have used that to remove graffiti from walls. The results depend heavily on what kind of spray paint was used. Some falls off, while other paints laugh at oven cleaner. The SF 790 is a powerful paint stripper, so maybe that is why it can remove powder coat so well. I would have the irresistible urge to spray it onto an old car hood, just to see what it would do to the paint. Maybe jealous girlfriends already know about this. :lol: Every job has a tool.

Joe
After using this stuff Joe I wouldn't waste my time on anything else. I can't remember the last time i tried something and it worked far beyond my expectations, typically it's a bitter disappointment so this was a real treat. Honestly it is worth having on your shelf and I just ordered mine from Grainger online after reading the OTHill's original post, been sitting here for months and just had an opportunity to try it. Thrilled! Thanks for the tip OTHill :Yay :Yay
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

weldguy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:32 pm

After using this stuff Joe I wouldn't waste my time on anything else. I can't remember the last time i tried something and it worked far beyond my expectations, typically it's a bitter disappointment so this was a real treat. Honestly it is worth having on your shelf and I just ordered mine from Grainger online after reading the OTHill's original post, been sitting here for months and just had an opportunity to try it. Thrilled! Thanks for the tip OTHill :Yay :Yay
:Like :Like :Like
Toni hausfeld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Toni hausfeld »

OTHill wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:07 pm The most amazing powder coat remover lifts it in minutes.16464171841881164959584245791315.jpg
Wow powder foamin action. Can I buy it from Walmart or Amazon?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Toni hausfeld wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:52 am
Wow powder foamin action. Can I buy it from Walmart or Amazon?
Here are several sources for this product. Aircraft paint stripper may work also.
David

https://www.zoro.com/loctite-chisel-gas ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://www.rshughes.com/p/Loctite-SF-7 ... 340_79040/
https://www.emisupply.com/catalog/locti ... -3275.html
dbug10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by dbug10 »

Your best bet is to get someone with a business license or if you have one to order stripper from somewhere like Benco and their B17 stripper or Express Chems and their Rim Strip. The problem with off the shelf strippers is in March of 2019 the EPA banned the use of Methylene Chloride based strippers to the public so you have to send a w4 to one of the sellers of these type of strippers. Another route is the so-called Green powder coat strippers the only problem with them is they cost at least double the MC based strippers and they have to be heated to be effective and that's another expense. Over the counter strippers just dont have enough umph to remove powder. I hope this helps you
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

dbug10 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:06 pm Your best bet is to get someone with a business license or if you have one to order stripper from somewhere like Benco and their B17 stripper or Express Chems and their Rim Strip. The problem with off the shelf strippers is in March of 2019 the EPA banned the use of Methylene Chloride based strippers to the public so you have to send a w4 to one of the sellers of these type of strippers. Another route is the so-called Green powder coat strippers the only problem with them is they cost at least double the MC based strippers and they have to be heated to be effective and that's another expense. Over the counter strippers just dont have enough umph to remove powder. I hope this helps you
Thanks for that information!
David

:Like :Like :Like
J-SIG
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by J-SIG »

Thanks for sharing this info!
I ordered 2 cans (SF 790) from emisupply.com (I get my Walter flap disc from them all the time)
for $24.28 each but UPS charges $25.89 for shipping!
If it works I think it will be worth it on a couple custom signs that didn't come out right!

Jeff
Jeff S.
J-SIG Manufacturing
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

J-SIG wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:39 am Thanks for sharing this info!
I ordered 2 cans (SF 790) from emisupply.com (I get my Walter flap disc from them all the time)
If it works I think it will be worth it on a couple custom signs that didn't come out right!

Jeff
I think you will be happy Jeff. From what I have learned using it is, wear a mask, it doesn't smell but it can't be good for you regardless! Also shake the can very well before using for best results, and if the base metal was sandblasted prior to powder it will need to sit wet longer for the powdercoat to lift. If the powder is on a bare un-etched metal surface it will wrinkle in seconds but a good finish needs to sit longer.
J-SIG

Post by J-SIG »

weldguy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:52 am
J-SIG wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:39 am Thanks for sharing this info!

Jeff
I think you will be happy Jeff. From what I have learned using it is, wear a mask, it doesn't smell but it can't be good for you regardless! Also shake the can very well before using for best results, and if the base metal was sandblasted prior to powder it will need to sit wet longer for the powdercoat to lift. If the powder is on a bare un-etched metal surface it will wrinkle in seconds but a good finish needs to sit longer.
:HaHa Nothing that works good is good for you! :Like :Like
Looking forward to trying it!

Thanks!
Jeff
Jeff S.
J-SIG Manufacturing

Return to “Powder Coat”