Help, First time powdercoating, Powder Won't Stick to Part

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
nateman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Help, First time powdercoating, Powder Won't Stick to Part

Post by nateman »

Hey guys, I'm new to powder coating, and especially new to these forums. I come here since I need some help. I just got my powder coating setup but have been having two issues. The first is I've been having issues getting enough powder out of my gun/ it not sticking. I wouldn't say its not putting out enough powder, but it will just be there with no powder grabbing on. It has a hard time getting powder on surfaces. This and I have no clue if you can use "too much powder" Anyways, thanks if anyone helps. Im using the eastwood, dual voltage gun. I have it on the low side, still has trouble getting powder on. Only thing I could think is too much air pressure, but its already pretty low. I also haven't been using the deflector since I do small parts, if that could cause anything.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help, First time powdercoating

Post by djreiswig »

No experience with powder coating, but I looked up the gun you have. It says 5-10 psi air supply. It also has a ground clamp. Do you have a good connection to the parts you are coating? I would think a bad ground would cause the powder to not attract very well.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
34by151
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 34by151 »

nateman wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:33 pm The first is I've been having issues getting enough powder out of my gun/ it not sticking.
Im using the eastwood, dual voltage gun.
haven't been using the deflector
First thing the eastwood is a good low cost place to start but if you continue you will want to upgrade it to a better gun.
Never fill the eastwood cup more than 20%
IE mostly empty. Any more powder and it will come out in clumps

Air pressure is very low around 3psi
Put a mini spray gun regulator on the gun.

You will need to shake the eastwood constantly to get the powder to flow out the gun.
Until you get the hang on it this will vary from no powder to massive clumps

The earth is also very poor on the eastwood.
Add an earth stake, connect the gun earth to the stake, run a new wire from the stake to the job
This is fairly common issue with the eastwood, most likely the cause of your powder not sticking
IE no static charge

Use the deflector. Have the gun 45 to 90 deg to the job. Keep shaking the gun
Powder should come out as a light mist
Make sure you have plenty of light to see you have full coverage
Keep a good LED torch with you and use it to check coverage

If you stick with coating strongly consider an upgrade to the redline EZ50 or EZ100J
I have a Gemma setup, EZ50, EZ100J
For Most jobs I use the EZ100J and use the Gema setup for big jobs that use lots of powder (hopper takes 20kg boxes of powder)

BTW I started with a Chinese setup (same as the HF ones)
Replaced that with the EZ50 and never looked back
Upgraded to the EZ100J as it was not available when I got the EZ50
Got the Gema setup at auction, massive upgrade on the EZ100J but too big for 90% of what I do
Most of the Gema is wasted on my small runs where the EZ100J is perfect

Hope that helps
Let us know if you need more
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Check to see if there are YouTube videos on the gun, people post Mods to make them work better. If you have a good pattern of paint coming from the gun and its not sticking to the parts, you may not get getting a go connection for the electrostatic charge to attract the power and hold on to the part. I have a dual voltage unit (not sure of the brand but cannot see them being much difference) I always use it on the higher voltage setting.
Main thing flow out of the gun and return clamp on the part to make the circuit for attracting the power.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

I have used an Eastwood gun for almost 10 years. Yes, it is a starter gun but it gets the job done for me.

If powder if not sticking be sure you have voltage and a good ground. To do this ground your part to the Eastwood ground cable, press and hold the trigger button for voltage and hole the tip of the gun close to your part, you should see a spark arc across the gap.

If you see this there is no reason why your powder isn't sticking. Do you get an arc?
GKimble
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by GKimble »

If powder is not sticking to the part, you have a grounding issue.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

GKimble wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:35 am If powder is not sticking to the part, you have a grounding issue.
I would expect that could be a possibility. Also power supply settings or a faulty unit.
David
J-SIG
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help, First time powdercoating, Powder Won't Stick to Part

Post by J-SIG »

nateman wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:33 pm Hey guys, I'm new to powder coating, and especially new to these forums. I come here since I need some help. I just got my powder coating setup but have been having two issues. The first is I've been having issues getting enough powder out of my gun/ it not sticking. I wouldn't say its not putting out enough powder, but it will just be there with no powder grabbing on. It has a hard time getting powder on surfaces. This and I have no clue if you can use "too much powder" Anyways, thanks if anyone helps. Im using the eastwood, dual voltage gun. I have it on the low side, still has trouble getting powder on. Only thing I could think is too much air pressure, but its already pretty low. I also haven't been using the deflector since I do small parts, if that could cause anything.
First thing is try the High side, and be sure you have power with the Eastwood gun (plus others) put it close to ground! If you get a spark (3/4"-1" blue spark) GREAT! no spark means BAD Ground (Normally) good spark You should be able to coat! Powder wise a high pressure will still coat, you just waste some powder! I use a EARTH ground, it has helped! I do signs that I have to keep squeezing the trigger for another shot Low air and powder (squeezing the trigger on and off gives you a PUFF of powder!
The big thing I've learned about Powder Coating is that it makes a difference in weather! But other than that there are some basic things you need to follow! 1st is powder pressure, my guns have a control on the gun, I have 120psi compressor but coming in I only cut it to 20psi because my EZ50 calls for more than my Eastwood gun dose! With the control at the gun "Play with it" more pressure is more powder but after almost 5 years "Playing" I've found it doesn't always matter one day it works next day it won't! DO NOT let that bother you! Trial and error is the best learning tool! So what if it doesn't work the 1st time try again! Some of the Humming Bird Scenes I do I wouldn't have tried 2 or 3 years ago, now they are fun! I do little Puffs at very low pressure with a VERY LITTLE powder in the bottle, the more powder in the bottle the more shot each trigger pull!
Anyone can ask here for help or PM me and I would be glad to help! I have used the Eastwood Dual Voltage for close to 5 years and the EZ50 for 3-4 years
I'm 61 now and sort of retired so I am happy to try to help!

Thanks!
Jeff
Jeff S.
J-SIG Manufacturing

Return to “Powder Coat”