Liquid powder coat

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Complete_Loser
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Liquid powder coat

Post by Complete_Loser »

You want it done cheap and fast, it wont be right.
You want it done right and fast, it wont be cheap.

You want it done right and cheap.., come back in a year..
JJ13
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Liquid powder coat

Post by JJ13 »

Been hearing that you can thin it way down and spray it through an airbrush. Gonna try that soon.
CPK_Jim
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CPK_Jim »

You can also use acetone or M.E.K. to turn your powder into liquid, uses it about 50/50 liquid to powder. I have not played with this too much yet, but have picked up an airbrush to play with. I tried the process using a hvlp touchup gun ant it did work, but be sure to let the it air dry before baking it or you will wish you had. There was an article a while back in powder coated tuff magazine that showed some airbrushing that someone had done by liquifiying powder, and wow, amazing, I wish I could have seeen the work in person the say they acheived things they could not have done with liquid, some by accidendt from the colors blending together when it was baked.

Jim
Complete_Loser
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Complete_Loser »

Thats kewl. I would like to see some pics of that also.

I completely agree with Jim. But, if you use the MEK/Acetone method, i would imagine the durability/life expectancy of it will go down. They are solid resins and when you "melt" them down, i would assume it hurts their structure at least a little (probably alot, especially with acetone probably breaking down molecular chains). I could be wrong.

Kinda like melting down a styrofoam cup, or plastic toy with solvent. Once you melt it down, try to make something else from it. And is it as structurally sound as the original? Probably not.
You want it done cheap and fast, it wont be right.
You want it done right and fast, it wont be cheap.

You want it done right and cheap.., come back in a year..
CPK_Jim
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CPK_Jim »

I would guess you are correct because i know if you leave the solution in a container overnight it seems to seperate the powder into parts and settles out as different layers.

Jim
zachmm0789
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by zachmm0789 »

CPK_Jim wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:19 am You can also use acetone or M.E.K. to turn your powder into liquid, uses it about 50/50 liquid to powder. I have not played with this too much yet, but have picked up an airbrush to play with. I tried the process using a hvlp touchup gun ant it did work, but be sure to let the it air dry before baking it or you will wish you had. There was an article a while back in powder coated tuff magazine that showed some airbrushing that someone had done by liquifiying powder, and wow, amazing, I wish I could have seeen the work in person the say they acheived things they could not have done with liquid, some by accidendt from the colors blending together when it was baked.

Jim
hello I tried this using acetone and I followed the 50/50 ratio I also strained it and used a hvlp sprayer but I ended up with a bunch of white spots I'm not sure where I went wrong do you have any idea what may have caused this?
ccoatings
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ccoatings »

Columbia Coatings makes a solution called powder water, works just fine. I have had issues with the textures and metallics, but all others work great.

Return to “Powder Coat”