Heating, infrared instead of oven?

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Heating, infrared instead of oven?

Post by Metriccar »

I am going to try and get some powder coating equipment I can either get an oven or infrared.

I am mostly making small pieces. Like 2 ft across.

Would one of these work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infratech-Wave ... 2248835763

Instead of an oven.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Heating, infrared instead of oven?

Post by Gamelord »

for small parts, I would search the local craigs list for a used stove/oven combo. You should be able to pick it up for less than 50 bucks. This will allow you to start on your powdercoating and then you will have a much better idea as to what you want to move up to.

For 2K, you could purchase quite a few ovens. I question on if those lights would get your piece hot enough. It's not the infrared that cures the powder, its baking it. Those lights are for curing paint on automobiles, not for cooking.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Maycreekmetals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Maycreekmetals »

i have used these lights for painting and I have used them for powder coat its a very slow process on powder coat and doesn't seem to cure it like my oven does.
JDR Metal Art
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by JDR Metal Art »

Hard to get an even cure on something 24 inches using infrared. Plus you have to apply the IR to both sides...with IR the powder cures by absorbing the energy rather than the part itself absorbing the energy. If you only did one side the back side would not be cured although it may flow out.
https://custom-driveway-gates.com
Hypertherm 45XP
9' x 14' plasma table

Return to “Powder Coat”