Sand blasting media

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
PPD
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Sand blasting media

Post by PPD »

Best media for removing mill scale off of metal for powder coating, I'm using coal slag now and I'm having to watch how
much I concentrate on a certain area for warping, Plus it's taking forever. Is there a better media for quicker results?

Thanks
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Sand blasting media

Post by sonbakler »

I use the black slag media also, I find it s to most aggressive media that readily available around here but that mill scale is tough sh@* I have not found anything that will easily remove mill scale other than a muriatic acid bath. I have given up on grinding or blasting and use the acid bath. Buying cold roll steel for certain jobs is also an option I use.
PPD
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PPD »

Thats a good idea, How long do you let it soak in the acid for?
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

I leave it in overnight, check in the morning and if it needs a little more time I will leave it longer but that usually does it. Honestly I put off this technique for a long time but now that I have tried it I will never do anything else. It works so good and even smooths out sharp edges, its amazing really and so simple. After the bath you would swear some of the parts look laser cut.
PPD
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PPD »

Awesome, thanks for the info!!

Is the acid a one time use? if not how do you know when to change it?
4Dscreenart
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 4Dscreenart »

I use the acid for anything smaller than 36x36. The acid in my tub is a few months old. usually I pull it out and rinse of with H2O then scrub with a scrub brush and dawn to clean it off. My solution is about 50/50 ith water. does a good job removing dross as well or if I don't let it soak long enough makes removing the dross much nicer.
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

PPD wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:18 pm Awesome, thanks for the info!!

Is the acid a one time use? if not how do you know when to change it?
Just like 4Dscreenart my acid is many months old. I notice it loses some potency with time and parts need to soak a little longer but it lasts a very long time. I keep my soak tub outside except for in the winter but always have it covered with a lid to prevent fumes from escaping.
PPD
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PPD »

What kind of container are you using? I can't find anything big enough
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

I just found a large shallow Rubbermaid storage tote. How big of parts are you looking to do?
PPD
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PPD »

Hoping to find at least a 36" x 36"
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

there is a short tub like thing that is used to containment for bad things. there are 2 problems with a tub like these volume of solution and getting it back into storage containers.
https://www.grainger.com/category/safet ... ment-trays
https://www.plastic-mart.com/product/86 ... -op0150-rt
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

do you not get these sorts of plastic pallet containers in the us you can cut down to size as they sometimes have a drain tap on them at low level

https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic ... noDP-jPM_M
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I Think Robert is talking about these, there was a guy getting them from places the wanted the contents not the container. He would clean them and sell them to who ever wanted one, I think it was about $80. Another thing that is handy for the acid bath is cutting short rings from a PVC pipe (1.5" to 2") and use them to separate the steel parts and keep them off the bottom. If you have a part on top of another they will have a dark shadow where the were in contact.
https://www.greif.com/products-and-serv ... tic-pallet
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Tom, those are the ones, sometimes like you say someone will want the contents and they can be acid resistant (should you feel the need for a breaking bad moment of doing in the competition or being a John Haigh ....)

not sure what they are like strength wise when you cut the top off.... but if you just want a foot or two deep they should be fine. cut with a jigsaw / circular saw?
PPD
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PPD »

Found the perfect tray on the plasti mart website, $77 dollars, and only $215 for shipping. No thanks haha
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

PPD wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:02 am Found the perfect tray on the plasti mart website, $77 dollars, and only $215 for shipping. No thanks haha
Find a local farm supply store, walk in and tell them what your looking for and I am confident they will have something suitable for you.
PPD
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PPD »

Found a 250 gallon container, the one with the cage around it. cut the side off and its like 37"x43" so I'm very happy with that.
I'm gonna put it outside and put a board on top of it to keep everything out I can. Have any images of how your setup it?
Thought about making a wood box with a hinged top to make it as secure and safe as possible.
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

Don't have any pics of my setup but its nothing more than a plastic storage tote with the lid on it. Throw my parts in and pull em out with some gloves on. Safe and secure is super important but I live in the country with no children around anymore so I don't have to be too worried about anyone getting into it. Sounds like you have a good size setup, your gonna love it!

Return to “Powder Coat”