Kool Koat Quik Shot Powder Gun

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
hotrod56
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Kool Koat Quik Shot Powder Gun

Post by hotrod56 »

Been looking for a gun and have looked at all the regulars - Eastwood dual, EZ100, EZ50, Harbor, etc. I am looking for a gun as an amateur coating parts in my garage for personal projects.

So Columbia makes this gun but there are no electronics and nothing to plug into the wall. There are a few reviews and a video that say it's great.
In the video, it looks like it works well but then how come every other company's guns are more involved and costly if this is such a great idea?

Has anyone else used it?

Here is the video. The guy said he has had problems but it sound like he solved them by cleaning the gun better.

Thoughts?
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Kool Koat Quik Shot Powder Gun

Post by plasmanewbie »

I have the Eastwood single voltage model and it has worked well for years. Without electricity to charge the powder i am not sure how you would ever get powder into corners and tight spots. I have used a professional gun and yes it works better than my Eastwood but it was around $3000 so unless your using it everyday its not worth it. I am happy with the Easywood and would recommend it. For the money you cant go wrong.
Knick
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Knick »

This would be the same as turning the KV down to zero with a regular gun. Not very efficient but would be ok for small stuff.
Remember he is comparing it to a cheap Eastwood which would be a beginner gun.
I would think this would work fine for little stuff like he is coating.
J-SIG
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by J-SIG »

hotrod56 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:41 pm Been looking for a gun and have looked at all the regulars - Eastwood dual, EZ100, EZ50, Harbor, etc. I am looking for a gun as an amateur coating parts in my garage for personal projects.

So Columbia makes this gun but there are no electronics and nothing to plug into the wall. There are a few reviews and a video that say it's great.
In the video, it looks like it works well but then how come every other company's guns are more involved and costly if this is such a great idea?

Has anyone else used it?

Thoughts?
That gun uses "Static electricity" as a charge on some powders and right weather it works!
A friend tried it just before I was going to buy one and said "Don't waste your money!" dose not work with "Metallic powders"
I use the Eastwood Dual Voltage gun ($99 4.5 years ago) it's well worth the money (Use a good earth ground and clean hooks to hang parts) I hang parts from a 1/2" copper rod connected to a 8' earth ground outside the shop! :Like
My "Big" gun is the EZ50 I was going to get a Kool-coat but it would only be better for 2% of what I do! 700 pieces in the past 3 years from .5" x 1" part to 36" x 44" Bucky Badger! There again "well worth the price" for the 50! :Like
Both pics below is using the Eastwood gun! All colors done then cleared and baked!
You need to have VERY LITTLE powder in the bottle, turn the air down until you get a little puff when you squeeze the trigger, exhaust fan off most times while coating, aim and do quick shots of powder until you get the desired effect! After I do all the colors I use the 50 with clear or Starlite clear to coat them in case I'm thin in some areas!
Have fun and experiment!

My 2 cents worth! :HaHa
Jeff

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Jeff S.
J-SIG Manufacturing

Return to “Powder Coat”