Starter gun or even better?

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
hotrod56
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Starter gun or even better?

Post by hotrod56 »

Starting off with powder and looking at guns. Of course, the Eastwood dual is highly suggested. I am also looking at a used Kool Koat 2.0 system. Even second-hand, it's not cheap - $500.

I will be an occasional user (so I think) coating car parts.

Will the Kool Koat be something that I should get? It looks more time-consuming to clean and maybe more for production.

Thoughts?
34by151
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Starter gun or even better?

Post by 34by151 »

The eastwood is a good choice for starting out when your not doing much or small parts.
You will quickly find the limitations and qwerks
The next step up is the Redline EZ50 then the EZ100
These are light years ahead of the eastwood

After that its a Gemma setup

I started with a Chinese gun (same as eastwood) and very quickly went to an EZ50 then a EZ100 and finally a Gemma
The Gemma was great for large panels but I found the EZ100 better for most of my parts
I sold off the Gemma setup as it quite expensive and I found I did not need it

I highly recommend going for the EZ100 straight off you wont be disappointed
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for your valuable suggestions 34by151. I have been thinking about building a small oven and considering my different options for gun systems.
David
hotrod56
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by hotrod56 »

How would the EZ100 compare to the Kool Koat 2.0?
J-SIG
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by J-SIG »

I started out with the Eastwood dual voltage and still use it a lot! I do a lot of multi colored signs and Gnomes It's great for them!
A lot of problems people have is not a good ground! The pic below shows where we grind and powder coat, the rod I hang parts from is connected to a earth ground 8' long outside, the gun grounds you can see clamped to the back end of the rod! With the earth ground you do not need them connected but I figure it doesn't hurt! The exhaust fan is a 24" barn fan the plywood has 2 6" holes to keep it from taking all the heat in winter! 1 hole at ceiling and the other just above bench! Air hose hangs on right along with remote for fan!
My other gun is the EZ50 Its been great, I tried the EZ100 but like the 50 better! A friend uses the 100 in his shop for railings! The variable voltage is a great help! I was going to get a "Kool-coat gun" but decided I only need it for about 2% of what I do!
I have 100 or more colors and a Eastwood style bottle for each, simply unscrew the bottle and blow the gun out (be sure to squeeze the trigger a couple times with bottle off! Air supply tube may have a little powder in it yet and you don't want it in the next color) put the next color on and go! For the 50 I've only have 50-75 bottles of what I use most!
Hope this helps a little!

Jeff
Grind-Powder area.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Jeff S.
J-SIG Manufacturing
martyy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by martyy »

Anyone have any experience with the Powder Coat Pro 80Kv gun? They also carry the EZ 50 but this one seems to have better specs for right at the same price point.

https://www.powdercoatpro.com/product-c ... -gun-kits/
itsjustony
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by itsjustony »

We used the EPG 2007 by Wagner for almost a year. It did the work okay. Just last year we decided to invest in a Gama CG07. It’s a big leap in performance. Whenever there’s a clog in the line, it’s easy and quick to disassemble and blow out the line.
We have an existing successful business to help support this set up, so the boss has money to reinvest in the business. We wouldn’t known about Gema if powder coating wasn’t beneficial to the company. I can only imagine that coating gets easier and more efficient the more money is invested
Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Gogo »

i just left a review.

Return to “Powder Coat”