11 ga 304

Learn and share dross removal techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
dava
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

11 ga 304

Post by dava »

we have a large run of small parts out of 11 ga 304 ss, the table operator is having a physically hard time grinding them. What is the best way to remove the dross? We have access to a timesavers machine
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 11 ga 304

Post by plasmanewbie »

Oh ya, stainless is a bugger to get the dross off. Not sure how much dross your dealing with but if you have the stainless dross that "balls" up and is tough to remove I would try dialing in your settings a little better. By dialing in my tables cut height and speed better (lower and faster) I was able to eliminate that big bally dross and be left with thin minimal dross that was much easier to get off.
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ben de lappe »

Dross on stainless is much different than that on mild steel. I have no experience with timesaver machines but I'd be sure it could handle ss before I just tried it. The stuff is incredibly hard and will never chip/break off, but here's how I dealt with it when I had to. #1. Be absolutely sure the cut on the stainless is good as it possibly gets just as plasmanewbie advises. No need to kill the guy grinding. :HaHa (Sounds to me like the Table Operator should look into the terms of his contract). #2. Since he's grinding his own parts as I did tell him to get the ol' 4.5" angle grinder out and put a 60 grit flap disc on it. Now, here's the important part, #3. Take the grinder and be absolutely sure to sand perpendicular to the cut edge, moving the grinder back and forth with slight pressure feather the edge evenly. Once enough progress is made and the dross has been ground properly it will literally 'peel' away from the material in little razor thin strips (usually blue in color) leaving an edge crisp and smooth enough for the finest tig corner joint. Best method I've personally found but does nothing for small inside cuts.

With that said I have no clue how small these parts are nor how large the run. Please send your operator/grinder my condolences. :Yay
DXF

Post by DXF »

I have cut countless sheets of stainless steel and I'd have to say it's my favorite steel to cut. If you dial it in the slag shouldn't be too bad. I use a 4.5" grinder with 50 grit aluminum oxide pads I purchase at Lowes. The pads wear down quick so when they get shiny change them and don't use them on regular steel and stainless.....you'll impregnate the SS with carbon and it will rust. Grind the edges just like Ben de Lappe said.

Dave Hanks

Return to “Dross/Slag Removal”