HPR260XD Scribe

Information on plasma cutting nozzles, electrodes, and other consumables.
That_Tattooed_Fat_Guy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

HPR260XD Scribe

Post by That_Tattooed_Fat_Guy »

We are using a HPR260XD, 99% of the material we cut is 300w mild steel, 6mm-38mm. From 6mm to16mm 200amp. 19mm and up 260amp. I am having troubles with
A) Quality of the scribe: I am using the no_lift feature (as it is faster) with Pronest, we try to keep the sizing of the scribe small so it fits on the parts I am cutting, but not too small that its all jumbled together. It leaves little dots all over the words etc. often making it harder to read. I am wondering if there is a way to kind of smooth those out and make it blend together nicer through its movements? Our plate is typically dirty so I know that doesn't help but even on clean plate it does not look as good, when its smaller. Smallest I go is 10mm, any less than that and I just mark the plate myself. We cut hundreds to a thousands parts in a single program so scribing the plate makes things easier and faster for production time.

B) Consumables: I've been working with this company for about a year and half, never ran CNC equipment before but I was a Machine operator for production lines in the plastics industry for about 7 years, so I am comfortable with changing run parameters and experimenting with different processes to get the results I want. Since starting I figured out how to actually cut nice holes in 38mm plate which they were never able to do (thanks google!) and I found how to efficiently use the scribing function so we don't have to wipe down dirty wet parts and use crappy paint markers to write on the parts. However; since starting scribing on the plate, we have noticed that we are burning through consumables WAY more frequently than we were before. My solution to that was to keep a less than ideal set of consumables for scribing and at the end of the scribe process, switch to a cut worthy set. I still would like to know if there is something I can change to prolong the life of our consumables as our other operator does not always follow the procedure of the tool change and cuts with the scribe set. Resulting poor cut quality.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: HPR260XD Scribe

Post by weldguy »

I am not sure how to improve your scribe appearance, I would suggest speaking to Hypertherm about that, may need a different gas or something. I expect consumable life will be reduced, so many more arc starts when scribing. Hope you are able to find a solution and if you do please post back, I am interested.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: HPR260XD Scribe

Post by adbuch »

That_Tattooed_Fat_Guy wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:17 pm My solution to that was to keep a less than ideal set of consumables for scribing and at the end of the scribe process, switch to a cut worthy set.

Thanks
I do the same thing with some of my cnc tooling. For example - I use a not-so-new insert for finishing the back end of my lower CP dies, but switch it out for an almost new insert for finishing the working end of the die. I get much nicer finishes with less post machining cleanup. This is on the cnc turning center (lathe).

And I know that some folks use their almost worn out consumables for piercing for holes with thick material, then switch out to new (or newer) consumables for the actual cutting. So basically the same idea.

David
CP Dies.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “Plasma Consumables”