Consumable problems

Information on plasma cutting nozzles, electrodes, and other consumables.
xnyehelo
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Consumable problems

Post by xnyehelo »

I am having trouble with my consumables, but I am not sure where to trace my problem back to. First off I have a Thermal Dynamics Ultra-cut 300 with the torch mounted on the end of a Fanuc 100ib robot. My problem is that recently my consumable life has taken a sharp drop. My tips have begun to blow out with a little less than an hours use. I have checked my programs, and my torch stays at the correct heigth all the way across the program. Also I used to be able to reuse the plastic pieces with a new electrode, tip and cap, but now when the tip blows out it has started to melt all of the pieces. I have attached a picture of my consumables after their useful life is up, the one by itself is what it usually looks like. The four that are together are the last four tips that I have pulled out of the torch. If anyone has any ideas of what could be causing this I would appreciate any help. Thanks

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Consumable problems

Post by jmsrbrt »

I'll suggest the obvious...water in your air.
xnyehelo
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by xnyehelo »

We have a dryer on our compressor, but how can I go about testing this to see if there is water in my air?
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

Take the dryer offline, drain your compressor then check for moisture.Could be that your dryer isn't working properly. I have 3 different water filters hooked up to catch moisture before it reaches the torch.
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

xnyehelo wrote:We have a dryer on our compressor, but how can I go about testing this to see if there is water in my air?
One quick way would be to disconnect the air line from your compressor, or better yet from the plasma cutter. If the air coming out has a "mist" or "cloud" coming from it, that's water. You could also direct the air flow to a piece of glass, like on your welding helmet and see if water dropplets appear. I vote with the previous post...your dryer isn't working.
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
xnyehelo
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by xnyehelo »

I drained the tank on the compressor, but nothing came out. When I opened the valve on the dyer though it was like a fire hose lol. I believe that this was my problem, I cut the rest of the day yesterday on only one set of consumables where I had been using 2 or 3 sets. Thank you for all the help.
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

You should look into an automatic bleed valve , it will save you some money next time and you don't have to worry about it.
sid@centraliowafab.com
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sid@centraliowafab.com »

We have an Ultra Cut 300 with a broken piece. Can anyone find a part number for the coolant cap that is broken, or a diagram of how to put it back together

Tautog13
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Tautog13 »

IDK if this helps....I looked up Ultra 300 @ Thermal Dynamics website and found this pic in the operators manual.
Sorry...no part #
If this is wrong part I will delete post/pic

Return to “Plasma Consumables”