Pricing a very large order

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Pricing a very large order

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:15 am That's what I thought. So I won't hold my breath on this one.
What would you be holding your breath for? I say, "I am thinking of buying a ..." and you believe you are calling me out because I didn't buy it TODAY? :lol:

I am building a powder coat oven. I am designing a pipe cutter for the PlasmaCam tables. I am making the rail riser kits available for sale. I am considering taking a course in SolidWorks. I am learning the banjo. Those are just a FEW of the things I am doing at this moment. I didn't realize that I must jump through YOUR hoops :HaHa

Please pose a clear example of a time I was "just kidding around."

Thanks

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

tnbndr wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:16 pm

Not as robust but MealPro is made in the USA also. In fact so close to me that I had to buy one years ago. Does what i need it to.
Dennis - I was trying to look up MealPro and kept getting stuff about food. Then I realized that it was probably MetalPro and found some information.
This looks like a nice machine - which model do you have? I did find an older review on the model 4000.
Thanks,
David
metalpro 4000 review.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

adbuch wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:30 am
tnbndr wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:16 pm

Not as robust but MealPro is made in the USA also. In fact so close to me that I had to buy one years ago. Does what i need it to.
Dennis - I was trying to look up MealPro and kept getting stuff about food. Then I realized that it was probably MetalPro and found some information.
This looks like a nice machine - which model do you have? I did find an older review on the model 4000.
Thanks,
David

metalpro 4000 review.jpg
Sorry about that, I corrected it!!!
I bought a used 4000FS from them and used it for a year or so but the inboard punch setup was limiting so I wanted to get the 4500FS. The company is only 10 miles from me so I stopped in there to see what could be done. The owner was very accomodating and said he would sell me the upper arm from a 4500FS that I could replace mine with, which would put the punch on the outboard side. I traded him my upper arm and some cash for the new upper arm and the conversion went smoothly. He even gave me the stickers for the 4500FS so that my machine was labeled correctly.
I use the punch a lot and the 8" brake. I have a couple custom dies for it for flattening and bending. For what I do it is plenty of machine.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Dennis - thanks for that! This looks like a nice compact machine at a reasonable price. I don't really deal with enough of the heavy material to warrant the purchase of one of these, and I am pretty full right now and space in the shop is scarce - but I will nevertheless take a further look. Probably one of the biggest expenses is the tooling to go with it. I wonder if louver dies could be adapted to work with this machine. What is the minimum thickness of sheet steel that this machine can accommodate? What is the thinnest material you have worked with yours?
Thanks for the information,
David
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

adbuch wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:32 am I wonder if louver dies could be adapted to work with this machine. What is the minimum thickness of sheet steel that this machine can accommodate? What is the thinnest material you have worked with yours?
David
David, the minimum I have worked with is 14 gauge but I don't see why it wouldn't work thinner materials.
As far a the louver dies, talk with Tom and tell him what you need. He likes to develop tooling for specific needs.
He has custom dies that punch and flatten the tops of tubing for fence pickets!!!
I have a set of his pipe notchers (tubing) that punches out the fish mouth for mating piping or tubing for welding. They work slick but each notcher is pipe size specific.
I understand the need for or lack of shop floor space, I work out of my two car garage and basement. Everything I have is on rollers or some type of mobile base so I can roll it out of the way when not needed.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

God bless WHEELS! You can cram all of the machines together at one end of the shop, and roll out tee ONE machine you need into the available work space. Almost everything in my shops rolls on wheels.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:34 am Please show us some photos of your new Edwards or Scotchman once you have it installed into your shop. It would be nice to know you are serious and not just kidding around like you usually do.
Still watching for that link to an example of a post where I am just kidding around like [ I ] usually do, David. I am really concerned about this. I did not realize that I USUALLY JUST KID AROUND in my posts. According to YOU, it is a bad habit that I need to break, but I have searched through my posts, and have not found a single example of insincerity in my posts to support your claim.

I am counting on YOU to take a moment out of your busy day, to point me to one or two textbook examples of posts containing my "usual" insincerity, since YOU have gone to the trouble to point out this terrible character flaw on a public forum.

Thanks in advance, Dave.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

cstroke
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cstroke »

Seriously?
Take it to Pm's and leave the forum out of this.
6’x12’ Dynatorch powermax 85
12’ Wysong brake
5’x 5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ shear
65 Ton ironworker
Boss laser 3655 150 watt CO2.
SFX 100watt Mopa
Quicncy 7.5hp
Square wave tig, Multimatics, Miller bobcat efi.
cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

cstroke wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:56 pm Seriously?
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:34 am Please show us some photos of your new Edwards or Scotchman once you have it installed into your shop. It would be nice to know you are serious and not just kidding around like you usually do.
Good advice!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tnbndr wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:51 am
adbuch wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:32 am I wonder if louver dies could be adapted to work with this machine. What is the minimum thickness of sheet steel that this machine can accommodate? What is the thinnest material you have worked with yours?
David
David, the minimum I have worked with is 14 gauge but I don't see why it wouldn't work thinner materials.
As far a the louver dies, talk with Tom and tell him what you need. He likes to develop tooling for specific needs.
He has custom dies that punch and flatten the tops of tubing for fence pickets!!!
I have a set of his pipe notchers (tubing) that punches out the fish mouth for mating piping or tubing for welding. They work slick but each notcher is pipe size specific.
I understand the need for or lack of shop floor space, I work out of my two car garage and basement. Everything I have is on rollers or some type of mobile base so I can roll it out of the way when not needed.
Thanks Dennis! I have a Mittler Bros. louver press kit that I purchased several years ago and never had the time to build the actual frame. But the kit came with one set of louver dies and I was thinking maybe they could be adapted to the MetalPro. I have a pending sale for my spare plasmacam table, and this could free up some shop space for a new toy. I will need to take a closer look at the specs and dimensions of the MetalPro to see if this might be doable.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Joe Jones gets another time out.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Am I supposed to feel as if I am being punished? :lol: That is a laugh! You are NOT my parent, and I don't give a flying hoot about your silly "time out."

Do us ALL a BIG FAVOR and MAKE IT PERMANENT!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I agree, tired of seeing the same bunch flex and rant back and forth off topic. PM would be a great place for that. I am sure some folks find some entertainment value in this but I would think most could do without it.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Joe Jones wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:26 am Do us ALL a BIG FAVOR and MAKE IT PERMANENT!

Joe
He can't hear you. He is ignoring your posts.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

djreiswig wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:05 pm
Yes, and he made sure to make that point PUBLIC! It was a big "SO THERE!" :lol:

I've got news for you. I KNOW this personality type. He will put me on the IGNORE list publicly, but I know he will read EVERY SINGLE WORD I write.

Maybe now we can get back to SANE conversations.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

weldguy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:17 pm
I agree, tired of seeing the same bunch flex and rant back and forth off topic. PM would be a great place for that. I am sure some folks find some entertainment value in this but I would think most could do without it.
You are absolutely correct! However, if I used a public forum like this, to casually toss out a personal attack against YOU, should I expect YOU to leave it there, unchallenged, and take it to PMs?

Weldguy ... suppose I posted, "Weldguy, you do nice work when you aren't cheating your customers like you usually do." Would YOU "take it to PMs at that point? Would you allow THAT STATEMENT to remain on a public forum UNCHALLENGED?

I don't think so!

I simply, calmly, politely asked David to post a link, or copy and paste a post or two of mine, where it is evident that I am "Just kidding around like [ I ] usually do." The comment IMPLIES that my posts are NOT to be taken seriously. It was his passive-aggressive attempt to discredit me. Of course, he FAILED in the attempt. Since I have over 1500 posts here, I must conclude from his statement, that more than 750 of them are "just kidding around" since he stated that this is my USUAL tactic. Therefore, it shouldn't be difficult for him to point to a few good examples of his claim.

You DO understand that newcomers to Plasma Spider form their opinions of other members of the forum, based on comments MADE about those members in the public forum, don't you?

It is no accident when David glibly tosses out a character smear like that. It is INTENTIONAL.

Joe

Last edited by Joe Jones on Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

djreiswig wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:05 pm
Yes, and he made sure to make that point PUBLIC! It was a big "SO THERE!" :lol:

I've got news for you. I KNOW this personality type. He will put me on the IGNORE list publicly, but I know he will read EVERY SINGLE WORD I write. He is scared s**tless that I may post something about him that he has not read. :lol:

Maybe now we can get back to SANE conversations.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

David has not departed from sanity. His are among the more "sane" posts.
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
12 Ft Durma Brake
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

cutnweld wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:49 pm David has not departed from sanity. His are among the more "sane" posts.
Oh, RIGHT!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

Joe Jones wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:20 pm

That tends to happen when one puts words into the mouth of another. I have never added someone to the IGNORE list, but there is always a first time and he earned it. :Yay

Joe

PS IGNORE LIST.jpg
Looks as tho David isn't the only one who has used an ignore list? Correct me if I'm wrong but looks like Joe has used it as well? Can we get back to the good old days of civil conversation, giving a hand when needed, and gracefully hear others ideas without getting upset? Thanks
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
12 Ft Durma Brake
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Joe Jones wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:20 pm
plasmanewbie wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:33 am Ya the nastiness got out of control on this one which is disappointing for this site.
That tends to happen when one puts words into the mouth of another. I have never added someone to the IGNORE list, but there is always a first time and he earned it. :Yay

Joe

PS IGNORE LIST.jpg
Joe put me on the iggy list after I quoted what he said prior in the post. How is that putting words into the mouth of another?

He still has not stated what the shear price would be, his new iron worker cost and his estimated time / profit on the job.

cstroke has said he would do this job for 5K, with those figures for a base line it would be hard to pay for the shear, buy an iron worker and pay the electric bill.

Joe has derailed this thread like everyone he posts on. He did it on the smart sync thread and I fell into his trap. I can actually remember when people could post up questions and get honest answers instead of unsubstantiated rants. Iron workers are a really great tool to have and should be talked about on a thread dedicated to them, not on a request for a cost breakdown of a plasma job.

Joe is still winning with his decades of experience..

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”