Price for cut dxf/svg files.

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
beeson1987
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Price for cut dxf/svg files.

Post by beeson1987 »

Hi everyone. Whats the going price for dxf/svg files please?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Price for cut dxf/svg files.

Post by adbuch »

Chris - this depends on if they are "store bought" or custom. For "store bought" check Etsy, etc. For custom work perhaps contact one of the "hired guns" listed at the bottom of this page linked to below.

https://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=27175

Personally I charge between $25 and $150 for a custom cut file depending on the complexity and time required to do the job. You are welcome to PM me if you have specific needs you wish to discuss.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You need to look at the factors involved there are some that give them away, as they used them for their own use. Having had them drawn by a professional running a business their time is money. Making products or drawing it still is their time. Look at some of tutorial posts here to see what is involved in creating a drawing that is useful/cut worthy. Some one on Etsy mays sell it many times over, a custom drawing is not. I posted a file here a long time ago and someone then was selling it for $5. a pop.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
beeson1987

Post by beeson1987 »

Thats the touble, i dont want to put my time in and give it all away for free, ive had alot of help from david in the past, and hes not asked for a penny. However alot of the files i am cutting, i have created or adapted myself, which as you may know takes time.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I miss understood you question, I though you were asking to see what was fair if you were buying. Only you can decide as to what your time is worth. You may look at if it is a completely custom project or one you can market to many. Like a case by case bases, and you need to understand once it paid for and left your hands you no longer have control of it. I have sold plans for 2 projects and was surprised at the number I did sell. They did take a lot of time to develop and assemble the docs for them. I sold them in over 15 countries around the world, which also ended up in selling parts kits for one of them. Give it a go you can stop any time you like.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:20 pm I miss understood you question, I though you were asking to see what was fair if you were buying. Only you can decide as to what your time is worth. You may look at if it is a completely custom project or one you can market to many. Like a case by case bases, and you need to understand once it paid for and left your hands you no longer have control of it. I have sold plans for 2 projects and was surprised at the number I did sell. They did take a lot of time to develop and assemble the docs for them. I sold them in over 15 countries around the world, which also ended up in selling parts kits for one of them. Give it a go you can stop any time you like.
Tom - I as well thought Chris was asking about what he should pay to buy files - "off the shelf" or custom. Trying to sell them is another story. From what I have seen the market is literally flooded with dxf/svg cut files for sale. Artsy, cars, horses, birds, etc. Not something I would want to try doing myself, but just take a look around Etsy, etc. to see the going prices. Just because they are marked at a certain price doesn't necessarily mean they are selling. I think it all boils down to what you think your time is worth, and how much free time one has to work on such projects - original artwork.

Like Tom, I too have developed various sets of plans for particular projects - most of them geared towards metal shaping. Some of these have involved hundreds and hundreds of hours in design, development, documentation, etc. Fortunately for me most of these are tools or equipment that I designed and built for my own use, and then documented the builds and offered as plans and construction manuals for others to benefit from.

Sometimes this has evolved from simply offering a set of plans for sale to actually manufacturing the parts and/or parts kits for the customers to purchase and build their own tool. Like Tom, I have sold and shipped both plans and kits worldwide - generally either from my website or Ebay store. LInks to both are at the bottom left corner of this post.

David

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”