Steel Prices

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Steel Prices

Post by DXF »

Well, not sure if it is a bold statement.....just a fact.....don't care if it's popular or not.....not fake news.

Dave Hanks
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

DXF wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:37 pm Well, not sure if it is a bold statement.....just a fact.....don't care if it's popular or not.....not fake news.

Dave Hanks
:Like :Yay
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Millermatic 190 (short circuit)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Grizzly Vertical Mill (junk)
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
JohnnyC
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by JohnnyC »

Some people just don't like the truth.
Bucket8577
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Bucket8577 »

DXF wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:28 pm
DXF wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:10 pm Here's a quote I received today on (3) sheets that I'll pickup sheared into 4' x 4' pieces - they deliver also.

Dave Hanks
My costs on steel have risen 34% since the republican taxes on steel so far.....crazy ain't it?

Dave Hanks
34%? Something isn't right. I just paid $108.00 each for 3 4x8 sheets of 14ga cold roll. About what it's been.

Oddly, I had a hard time finding any articles showing a graph of the cost of steel since the tariff. They all went to the peak in April, but nothing past where the price started to fall.

This chart is from General Steel.
https://gensteel.com/building-faqs/stee ... s/forecast

The tariff is 25%. Prices only actually went up 12% right after the tariff (March 8th), but are back down to pre-tariff levels nationally. Translation- China is eating the costs of the tariff (for now). None of the media or "experts" were right.

Either your broker / distributor is price gouging or I don't know what.

By the way, it is Trump's tariff. He did it alone. He gets credit or blame. Personally, I think it is long overdue even if it is detrimental to me personally. It will be positive for more people than it hurts.
Newbie to plasma cutting.
DXF

Post by DXF »

Bucket8577 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:06 am
DXF wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:28 pm
DXF wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:10 pm Here's a quote I received today on (3) sheets that I'll pickup sheared into 4' x 4' pieces - they deliver also.

Dave Hanks
My costs on steel have risen 34% since the republican taxes on steel so far.....crazy ain't it?

Dave Hanks
34%? Something isn't right. I just paid $108.00 each for 3 4x8 sheets of 14ga cold roll. About what it's been.

Oddly, I had a hard time finding any articles showing a graph of the cost of steel since the tariff. They all went to the peak in April, but nothing past where the price started to fall.

This chart is from General Steel.
https://gensteel.com/building-faqs/stee ... s/forecast

The tariff is 25%. Prices only actually went up 12% right after the tariff (March 8th), but are back down to pre-tariff levels nationally. Translation- China is eating the costs of the tariff (for now). None of the media or "experts" were right.

Either your broker / distributor is price gouging or I don't know what.

By the way, it is Trump's tariff. He did it alone. He gets credit or blame. Personally, I think it is long overdue even if it is detrimental to me personally. It will be positive for more people than it hurts.
All I can do is tell you what it cost me comparatively for cold rolled before the taxes on steel and aluminum were imposed by the GOP and their leader. If I am getting gouged it was created by this misguided trade war.....there are no winners in a trade war. I would like to get it for the price you quoted. I don't buy large quantities either. Stainless steel has remained the same. I figured it would skyrocket.

Dave Hanks
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ben de lappe »

Bucket8577 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:06 am Personally I think it is long overdue even if it is detrimental to me personally. It will be positive for more people than it hurts.
:Like
So tired of being bent over by China. Personally speaking I'll gladly bite the bullet for a bit as this nation learns to play fair. Kind of view it as a service to my country though the price tag isn't nearly as large this time. :-D And besides...absolutely despise cutting the imported junk. :roll:
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Ben,

You hit it on the head we are in the trillions on the loosing end with China on the trade game. The can can only be kicked so far down the road before it must be dealt with. All of our industries has been over regulated and taxed, some to the point they closed their doors and moved offshore. The #2 natural gas reserve in our nation is 10 miles from my shop, I have a bet with the county commissioner it will become #1 as the over regulating / taxing I spoke of starts at the county level and multiplies with each gvt agency as it works it way up the ladder to DC..
DXF

Post by DXF »

China's share of imports are less than 4% of the U.S. import of steel.....wake up!

Dave Hanks
DXF

Post by DXF »

DXF wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:03 pm China's share of imports are less than 4% of the U.S. import of steel.

Dave Hanks
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

DXF wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:03 pm China's share of imports are less than 4% of the U.S. import of steel.....wake up!

Dave Hanks
My understanding is that the lion's share of our steel imports are from the UK and Canada but hey, people believe in what Trump is doing (not me). My one burning question is this. Aren't tariffs a tax paid to the US government? If so, aren't conservatives and more specifically Trump conservatives very opposed to more taxes? I'm lost here, enlighten me or is it all good cause it is a Trump thing? I would surmise that if a Dem pulled this stunt, there would be riots. I'm going to drop it here due to this forum being full of Trump supporters, many of which I have helped me out and I see no need to get them fired up.
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Millermatic 190 (short circuit)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Grizzly Vertical Mill (junk)
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

While a tariff is basically a tax, I (not speaking for or on behalf of any conservative or conservative organization :-D ) have absolutely no problem with it being applied/used as punishment to a country that uses it's steel firms, many of which are state-owned enterprises that benefit from essentially free capital and tax “rebate” handouts and have dumped their products at prices below cost in order to drive the steel industries in other countries out of business. Freed by their communist government of the need to earn a profit these steel companies could undercut nearly any domestic supplier be they U.K., U.S. or Canadian. Thereby making it global in my view. Concerning whomever else would have pulled this stunt....they'd have got my vote, I guarantee that as this is nothing new. Long has the U.S. been at a disadvantage concerning import/export tax rates. I for one would like to see an even playing field, precisely the point of the tariff.
DXF

Post by DXF »

You need to understand that the multinationals have moved to China to avoid the high costs in the USA since the Reagan era gave them tax breaks to offshore to countries like China and Mexico. GM has 20,000 plus employees in China. Caterpillar, GE, John Deere and Ford have a huge presence there also among many others that have deserted America for more $. Before you bite on the newest hype from the GOP leader Trump because of your ignorance look at the facts. I believe in fair trade also but have you seen a real factual deal enacted thru congress......oh wait.....we don't need congress anymore. It's a billionaire's game.....making the top 1% richer and costing Americans 25-35% more on goods from China that US companies off shored. No one wins in a trade war.....except the 1%.

Dave Hanks
Casaba
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Casaba »

I know better...I really do....

so your suggestion is what? just let it keep rolling downhill, too late to stop it?
DXF

Post by DXF »

I would rewrite the tax laws that the multinationals use to offshore trillions of dollars to avoid taxes in the USA. We need domestic content laws on all government contracts including the military that will create and keep jobs in America. And more importantly.....I agree with Trump.....drain the swamp!

Dave Hanks
DXF

Post by DXF »

This shows how we are being conned to pay for corporate farmer ADM and other agriculture giant's subsidies of $30,000,000,000. It's a rich billionaires shell game. Have you ever heard of the Koch brothers?
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/how-trum ... 21069.html

Dave Hanks
conz35
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by conz35 »

Don't know what everyone is paying currently for steel. We switched to ordering in larger quantities to get better pricing. We typically go thru 300-500 4x8 sheets a year.
Just ordered (300) 4x8 16 ga CR for $41.60 each delivered.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
phy6
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by phy6 »

Called around northern MD and this was the best price so far:
Hot rolled A36 4x8 sheets
1/4 $165
3/16 $125
1/8 $81

First place I called gave me these prices for the same thing:
1/4 $366.69
3/16 $275.04
1/8 $179.52

Lesson: It pays to call around. The place with the best prices came as a recommendation from an HVAC shop I called.
Bucket8577
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Bucket8577 »

I just paid $196.20 for a single 4x8 plate of 1/4" A36.
Newbie to plasma cutting.
RSMetalworks
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by RSMetalworks »

holy crap. I guess im getting scammed. ive been paying 110 for a 4x8 sheet of hot rolled 16ga
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

This is an interesting conversation showing both sides of the story, with the things going on today. We see that not having control of the supplies we will never control the price we pay. With the war on covic 19 we are not in control of supplies or drugs. We have the ability, resources and the knowledge to produce things here if we give that up there goes the freedom we have.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
White Bear
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by White Bear »

I pay roughly $0.70/lb for steel. Angle, tube, sheets. It varies but that's ballpark.
I recently bought 20,000# of 3'x10'x 1/4" sheets for $1500.. I was quite satisfied with that price.
maacmetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by maacmetal »

HAHAHAH i see this is an old post but..... im paying $145 for a sheet of 14G 4X8. $134 a sheet if i buy 40+ at once. just wanted to put this out there. hopefully when i revisit this post in a few years the price will be much better :) it was only $80 a sheet two months ago
Welder6131
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Welder6131 »

Just paid 277.00 for a sheet 4x10 14ga steel....ouch!
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

My recent order :Sad
4x8 16ga $143
4x10 11ga $310
4x8 3/16 $380
4x8 1/4 $503

I'm still swooning over that invoice :-o
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I just bought 3-4x8 sheets of 16ga HR for $100 each.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”