Steel Prices

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Steel Prices

Post by mdwalker »

Joe Jones wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:06 am
mdwalker wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:00 am
3/16" = 7.50# per square foot
1/4" = 10.21# per square foot
3/8" = 15.32# per square foot
I haven't purchased steel in a while, but I hear the prices are "through the roof!"

Are those considered to be "good prices" today? :Wow I had no idea steel had gone up THAT MUCH!

Joe
That is weight, not prices. I posted that in response to your question on the post above about the steel drops that are priced per pound.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

I understand the '#' symbol. I knew you were talking about weight.

The price of steel is still out of control. I would like to populate the spreadsheet with current prices, so people have SOME reference to compare the price they are paying to the prices that are being paid across the country.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Steel prices seem to be dropping back down here in Tucson, at least for the sheet sizes that I buy.
David
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

Just bought 3 sheets of 5x10x10g hot roll at $275 a sheet from a steel supplier out of state. Our local steel supplier 10 miles away wanted $425.

Allen
Jason@bc
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Jason@bc »

I priced out 3/8'' plate the other day, a 4' x 8' sheet would cost me over $600, Bought some in 2019 for $300.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Jason@bc wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:31 pm I priced out 3/8'' plate the other day, a 4' x 8' sheet would cost me over $600, Bought some in 2019 for $300.

Where are you located?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Jason@bc

Post by Jason@bc »

I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Jason@bc wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:13 pm I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada.
Ahh... You know, most people do not have that comprehensive knowledge of world geography. :Sad I read "Moose Jaw" and thought, "Alaska?"

Thanks

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Jason@bc

Post by Jason@bc »

I see.
goodman100
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by goodman100 »

1/4 inch 4 ft x 5 ft is 122.00 each in Louisville, IL
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

goodman100 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:06 pm 1/4 inch 4 ft x 5 ft is 122.00 each in Louisville, IL
Hmmm ... $6.00 per square foot ... :roll: I haven't bought steel since 2019 P.C. (Pre-Covid). Is that a good price now?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

That's about what I paid new last month for full sheets from the steel yard. Prices came down from where they were. How did you manage to not buy for 3 or so years? Must buy a tremendous pile at a time? I heard tho that its cheaper to buy by the truckload, good for you if that's what you do. I dont have storage for that much...
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
Jason@bc

Post by Jason@bc »

cutnweld wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:40 am That's about what I paid new last month for full sheets from the steel yard. Prices came down from where they were. How did you manage to not buy for 3 or so years? Must buy a tremendous pile at a time? I heard tho that its cheaper to buy by the truckload, good for you if that's what you do. I dont have storage for that much...
It's cheaper for sure to buy large quantities at a time, most I ever bought was 100 sheets of 4x8 x 1/2'' plate, but those are all used up now. These were bought in 2020 for $.46 a pound. The highest it's been here is $1.45 a pound, it's now down to $.96 a pound, debating whether to pull the trigger on another batch or not, will the price stay...drop...or go up again???
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

cutnweld wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:40 am That's about what I paid new last month for full sheets from the steel yard. Prices came down from where they were. How did you manage to not buy for 3 or so years? Must buy a tremendous pile at a time? I heard tho that its cheaper to buy by the truckload, good for you if that's what you do. I dont have storage for that much...
No. I just shut down. I quickly grew tired of the covid zombie apocalypse mandatory jab of certain death B.S. and the mask nazis, and just shut down. Completely. I made nothing. I earned nothing. I sold nothing. Since 2019. I still have 40+ sheets of 14 and 16 gauge material waiting for me to fire up the cnc plasma table again.

During the past three years, I have added several machines to my shop in the hopes that I would once again become inspired to make and sell things. I added a 48" 12 ga. finger break, a dual drum sander, a 21" wood planer, three D1 PRO lasers, a 30 watt fiber laser, and an industrial 3D printer, among so many other things.

I have lost all faith in humanity. Those who know me, know that I used to be heavily involved in politics. I sent out thousands of emails trying to keep people updated on developments, and information about the jabs, and the mandates, and the country in general. All of that has stopped. I didn't even vote in this last election. I cannot honestly tell you whether Trump is alive or dead. I don't send out ANY emails now about politics. I just shut down. I just don't care about the fate of humanity any longer.

So if I go to buy steel again, the prices will probably be nowhere near what I paid for steel, the last time I made a large purchase. I am shifting my interest and focus to the lasers and 3D printer, so the metal shop may just collect cobwebs for another year or two.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

SA Precision Cuts
1 Star Elite Contributing Member
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SA Precision Cuts »

I bought a sheet of 16ga mild steel 48" x 96" for 75$ in San Antonio yesterday.
Rftek
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Rftek »

I bought a sheet of 16ga SS 304 48" x 120" for ~360$ in Austin last week @ Westbrook. Metals4U was about 20% higher quote
Oldtimer
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Oldtimer »

16 ga 4x10 $130
14 ga 4x10 $168
1/8" 4x10 $240
Prices are down about 30 percent from the summer
Upper Peninsula of MI
ColoradoWayne
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by ColoradoWayne »

I just bought 4 x 4 14 ga cold rolled and paid $79.94 per sheet, down 22.43% from April of last year, but still double from Jan 2020. Southern Colorado.
Wayne
LDR Motion Systems 4 x 4 water table
Hypertherm Powermax 65
martyy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by martyy »

1/4" x 48 x 96 HR A36 CHEMISTRY PLATE = $278 including Nebraska tax.
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

2x1 meter sheet of 2mm cold rolled €70 ex 21% VAT
Also a sheet of 3mm for the same price because it wasnt in stock according to the Inventory.
Price in the Netherlands.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Joe Jones wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:18 pm
No. I just shut down. I quickly grew tired of the covid zombie apocalypse mandatory jab of certain death B.S. and the mask nazis, and just shut down. Completely. I made nothing. I earned nothing. I sold nothing. Since 2019. I still have 40+ sheets of 14 and 16 gauge material waiting for me to fire up the cnc plasma table again.

During the past three years, I have added several machines to my shop in the hopes that I would once again become inspired to make and sell things. I added a 48" 12 ga. finger break, a dual drum sander, a 21" wood planer, three D1 PRO lasers, a 30 watt fiber laser, and an industrial 3D printer, among so many other things.

I have lost all faith in humanity. Those who know me, know that I used to be heavily involved in politics. I sent out thousands of emails trying to keep people updated on developments, and information about the jabs, and the mandates, and the country in general. All of that has stopped. I didn't even vote in this last election. I cannot honestly tell you whether Trump is alive or dead. I don't send out ANY emails now about politics. I just shut down. I just don't care about the fate of humanity any longer.

So if I go to buy steel again, the prices will probably be nowhere near what I paid for steel, the last time I made a large purchase. I am shifting my interest and focus to the lasers and 3D printer, so the metal shop may just collect cobwebs for another year or two.

Joe
Don’t give up man. Your’re not the only one feeling the squeeze.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

N2 Welding wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:50 pm
Don’t give up man. Your’re not the only one feeling the squeeze.
I CAN'T now! As I sometimes do, I drove my 2018 F150 to a dealership just to look into the possibility of a trade-in for a new truck. I loved the 150, but the Tim Taylor in me wanted MORE POWER!

Short story, I arrived home last night in my new 2022 F250 Super Duty truck. :Wow I looked at all of the numbers, looked at the feedback on the F150 "after 100,000 miles" problems that seem to crop up, ... the truck needed new tires and the windshield was cracked. I was fast approaching the end of the "Ford Certified Used Vehicle" 100K mile warranty. The tranny was showing signs of pending issues, but the truck itself was beautiful! Not one single door ding! The interior was close to perfect. I cannot explain WHY I traded up, but when all of the dust settled, it amounted to $2.00 per day more than the payments on the 150, and for five more years, of course. :Sad

So now I MUST get into the shop, and start using the machines and tools to generate the money to pay for this new 250. First, a cross-country trip to CommieFornia and back to KY. again, for a retirement party and a birthday party.

Joe
f250 jpg.jpg
The old, and the new.
two trucks.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

This makes vehicle # 93 in my life. :Wow The F150 was # 92. Friends who know me but haven't talked with me in a while usually start out the conversation with, "What are you driving now?" :lol: I am guessing that this will be my last vehicle. I will probably drop dead before I get to a point where I would trade up AGAIN.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

FabLab
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by FabLab »

And this relates to the price of steel in what way
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

FabLab wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:01 pm And this relates to the price of steel in what way
Opps! Sorry. I forgot that some people on social media forums INSIST that a thread six pages deep STILL remain exactly on topic. God forbid we communicate like friends who share a common interest, but also have many facets to our lives. I also forgot that members are REQUIRED to read every word of every post, and members have no free will to pass over things that do not interest them.

The Goldwing Road Riders Association message boards, a 'YUGE international forum much larger than, but not unlike PlasmaSpider eventually DIED and SHUT DOWN, followed by the entire GWRRA Association becoming defunct, because as people got to know other members via the information shared in posts with topics unrelated to the thread titles, the Topic Police were ever present to complain that a thread about oil plug seals that began in 2016 and was perhaps 488 pages deep, drifted through eight or ten different unrelated topics as the threads grew in page numbers. We could always count on the Topic Police to crash the party and force everyone to fall into line again. The thread either returned to oil plug seals immediately, or some power crazed moderator would lock the thread as a symbolic slap on our hands, for allowing ourselves to look left or right as we marched in lock step.

We return you now to the TOPIC, STEEL PRICES. They were in part responsible for why I stopped making metal art, and by extension having not purchased steel in quite some time. This, along with the covid hoax and dealing with the giant knife in my back have kept me from producing anything for nearly three years now. So I cannot make even accurate guesses as to the current STEEL PRICES :lol:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”