Wear & Tear vs Price Points

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
tchadwyk
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Wear & Tear vs Price Points

Post by tchadwyk »

Okay,

So I am designing a new snow meter gauge with a gnome on top...its cute as ol getup and I'll share it once I cut one and make sure all is good, but thats not my point.

Here is the point. This thing is 7x34" and has 20 pierce points. They will sell here in Canada for $80 all day long and I'll do alright on them.

Now, my least complicated 23.5" monogram sign has 124 pierce points (that train design y'all have seen) and will only sell at $140. And thats IF the person doesn't want to wait for an $80 jobby from Ch...Chi....I can't even type it. Anyway...So I can make two of these Sgnome Meters...(clever right?) with 40 pierce points and make $20 more with less wear on the rig than I can for a custom monogram sign.

My question for you fine folk is this.... whats the point? Is the wear and tear on the torch worth the pain in the ass dealing with clients who want three or four type font options for less dollhairs worth it? Help me change my perspective here.

Thanks y'all and hope everyone is having a super joyful holiday season!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Wear & Tear vs Price Points

Post by acourtjester »

Tire kicker are a pain, turn it around on them by asking would they take less for doing more work in what they do. You may make up a wall chart the show time involved it doing a project, custom work is not like you walk over to a shelf and pull out what they want.
Art work XX per hour
Material handling XX per hour
Cutting time XX per hour
clean up and finishing XX per hour
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Sgnome Meter....clever indeed and can't wait to see it!

Anyway as to your question I would just charge what you need for the job and if they don't want to pay what you need than move on.

If you feel it is costing you more in consumables than its worth, charge more or don't do it.

As for wear on the torch there really isn't any it's just the consumables that wear so charge accordingly.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

For the customer it's all about perception, i.e. what value something has to them and what they perceive it's worth to be.

For me, part of the art of business is finding those products that are quicker, easier, and cheaper to make but will sell for more.
But at the end of the day, just work out your time, effort, material/consumable costs, etc then work out a price that keeps you happy.

If it won't sell at that price, abandon that product and move on to the next one. You got to make it worthwhile otherwise you'll end up abandoning the business instead of some products.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:22 am Tire kicker are a pain, turn it around on them by asking would they take less for doing more work in what they do. You may make up a wall chart the show time involved it doing a project, custom work is not like you walk over to a shelf and pull out what they want.
Art work XX per hour
Material handling XX per hour
Cutting time XX per hour
clean up and finishing XX per hour
Great suggestion Tom! That's exactly what I do - basically time and materials (and I consider consumables to be "materials"). Same as quoting a cnc machining job - I include cost for cutters, etc.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

beefy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:29 pm For the customer it's all about perception, i.e. what value something has to them and what they perceive it's worth to be.

For me, part of the art of business is finding those products that are quicker, easier, and cheaper to make but will sell for more.
But at the end of the day, just work out your time, effort, material/consumable costs, etc then work out a price that keeps you happy.

If it won't sell at that price, abandon that product and move on to the next one. You got to make it worthwhile otherwise you'll end up abandoning the business instead of some products.
Keith - I very much agree! I've got some products that take about twice the effort and machining time and only sell for a little bit more than some others that take only about 1/2 the time. But I just take "the good with the bad" and end up doing all of them and it sort of averages out. Fortunately I get much more demand for the quicker parts than those that take twice the time.
David
tchadwyk

Post by tchadwyk »

Thanks Folks. Appreciate all ya'll taking the time to write a response. It all makes a bundle of sense of course.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”