Interesting pricing video

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Interesting pricing video

Post by acourtjester »

here is a simple pricing scheme for pricing video
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Interesting pricing video

Post by Scratch »

Thanks for sharing. Pricing is one of the hardest parts. I'm not sure this formula would work for flat signs so much since a small sign isn't that much different than a large sign, but it could be great for large steel projects like furniture, railings, etc. and that's where I struggle in pricing my stuff.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
AREA
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by AREA »

Good video, good baseline to go from but keep in mind some industries will pay more than others for the similar amounts of work. For example I can cut a large part for a customer for use on a floor pan and can do a similar sized piece with similar amount of work for an unpainted rustic outdoor business sign. The sign customer is going to expect to pay much more than the guy welding in a floor pan. Both parts took a similar amount of time at the day but one project can demand much more than the other.

Don't just create a formula and stick with it come hell or high water because you could sell yourself short in many cases. It takes time to get a feel for what people in your area will pay and you will soon learn the types of jobs you don't which I charge much more for. I call it the BS factor. If I know I will be dealing with a lot of BS I price it so I likely won't get the job but if I do I am being well compensated. It happens.
SegoMan DeSigns

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Interesting video, however the time it takes to bid some small jobs you could throw a random number at it based on previous jobs and be done with it. The spread sheet posted on the forum is an example of that, you waste more time / money bidding the job than you make on the job is some cases.

Some of the factors I take into account are:
How are they gonna pay: cash / credit card / check / billing
Min 1/2 hr on shop time
Billing is a 1 hr minimum, if they are a good customer I will do a monthly accumulation billing if the jobs are small ones (yet the 1 hr minimum applies).
The bigger jobs require a 50% deposit to cover the volatile metal pricing.

Happy 2022 8-)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for posting Tom! I'm guessing this was created as sort of a "tongue in cheek" video, and it does certainly provide some humor! Obviously there is in many cases much more to it than the video suggests. And it certainly did "stir up the pot" a bit. Keep them coming.
David

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”