How to price cutting customer supplied steel

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Desert Toad
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

How to price cutting customer supplied steel

Post by Desert Toad »

Hi Gang,

I searched for some newer info on this topic but didn't come up with anything. I'm curious what people are charging to cut customer supplied steel. It's new steel being delivered from the dealer to me, and I'm cutting out letters for a sign. Looking for linear foot pricing for cutting unless there is a better way to do it.

Thanks!
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: How to price cutting customer supplied steel

Post by mdwalker »

Several years ago I created an Excel spreadsheet for calculating prices. Since then there have been others that have added to it or created their own. Do a search for pricing calculator or excel spreadsheet.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

I prefer to charge for the length of time I estimate it takes to get the job done. Charging by the linear foot doesn't take into account talking to the customer, designing the letters, receiving their material, getting material on and off the table, packaging the parts if needed, etc. Some industries have no problem paying more than others. Sign industry pays more for a cut piece of metal than a welding shop would so take that into account. It takes time to get a feel for what you can charge.
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

mdwalker wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:27 am Several years ago I created an Excel spreadsheet for calculating prices. Since then there have been others that have added to it or created their own. Do a search for pricing calculator or excel spreadsheet.
Danny.. thank you for your sheet... it has come in quite handy.. i meant to holler at you for some insight on it yesterday but the day got away from me. I'll drop you an email with questions.

Here is the original post.
https://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=14840
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
TJS

Post by TJS »

cuttinparts wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:06 am I prefer to charge for the length of time I estimate it takes to get the job done. Charging by the linear foot doesn't take into account talking to the customer, designing the letters, receiving their material, getting material on and off the table, packaging the parts if needed, etc. Some industries have no problem paying more than others. Sign industry pays more for a cut piece of metal than a welding shop would so take that into account. It takes time to get a feel for what you can charge.
I am with you on this one especially in regards to letters, signs, etc. I just finished with a client that really did not know what they wanted. Went back and forth with inkscape screen shots and dimensions, fonts of the letters. Went back an forth several times. He also supplied the material. I charge by the hour for this. Also figure in post prep (remove dross etc). In the job I just did, I cut the letters out, and threw them in a box as agreed no post prep.
T.J.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”