Pricing a very large order

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Pricing a very large order

Post by Joe Jones »

You are all over the place. This thread is about jackgreene91 cutting 1,000 plates with four holes, using his CNC plasma table and the tools HE HAS in his shop, vs. having a steel yard sheer the plates into squares, and buying an ironworker to accomplish the same job in less time with less work, and ending up with a new ironworker in his shop and a few dollars (or pounds?) in the bank. Now you argue that Jack should NOT buy an ironworker, because Shawn/SEANP believes can do the job faster that my guesstimate of 200 hours? :lol:

Does Jack have a forklift to move 700 pound plates around? Remember, he is a ONE-MAN SHOP. If he can use a forklift to move a full sheet of 4x8 1/2" steel inside and onto his table for cutting, then he damned sure has the room for an ironworker! Does he have an overhead crane trolley with a magnet lift, and an electric hoist? Is he using a boom arm to move the plate from the floor to his table is a swing motion?

I am probably spot on, guessing that it will take Jack every bit of 200 hours of total labor to cut those plates, when the time to perform the entire task is measured. You cannot ignore the time of negotiating the deal, fetching the material, moving it from your truck to the shop, and then from the shop to the table, and then cutting the plates, and pulling them from the table to stack them onto pallets and band them together somehow for transport, and removing the skeletons, and then delivering the finished product to the customer, and claim that it only required four minutes per plate, as a ONE-MAN operation! That is just fantasy. Do not forget the time required to pick up 4,000 22 mm plugs from the floor beneath the table and haul them off to the scrap yard.

Or is he going to leave the TEN TONS of steel plates ON his truck and pull the material from the truck bed as needed? Does he HAVE a truck or a trailer that can transport TEN TONS of steel plates? Does he have the means to move a 700 pound 4x8 plate from his truck bed directly to the plasma table? If there is "no room" for an ironworker with a footprint of (+/-) 15 sq. ft., I sure want to know how he is moving giant steel plates around in his shop.

Quite honestly, it would be best for him to take a TEMPLATE to the customer's location where this plate is, and lay the template directly onto the plate, cutting out one square at a time, using a hand torch or MAG DRILL to cut the holes, and letting it fall to the ground. Move the template to repeat the process for the next plate. There would be NO transport of materials, NO need to muscle the plates around, NO clean up of the drops, NO need to deal with the skeletons, and it would use the customer's air compressor for the entire job. At four minutes per plate, he could do the whole job in three hours, RIGHT? :lol:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

2:30 am post! Park your new chair, sleep at night instead of day and your energy will flow back thru to you.
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

:lol: The other night, I woke up around 10:00 PM after a LONG nap. I happened to peek out through the back door to see an amazing lightning storm off to the north. I was wide awake, so I recorded it for a few minutes. Then I decided that since I really LIKE thunderstorms, I would hop into my truck and chase it down. I fired up the iPad in the truck and headed East first, to Scottsville, and then north toward the storm. When I caught up with it, I was not disappointed! AWESOME lightning strikes at I am guessing ... 20 per minute, NON-STOP!! Not much rain, except for one massive and quick burst. I stood under the canopy of a closed gas station to enjoy the awesomeness of the weather!

I stopped into a convenience store that was open in Columbia, KY. I asked Siri, "How far is it to Franklin, KY?" "Franklin, KY is 98 miles from you." she replied :-o I did not realize I had chased the storm THAT FAR. So as I watched it move further Northeast, I set the GPS to bring me home, and arrived around 5:30 AM. Then I got a few hours of sleep before rising to meet the day.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Joe,

Your the one all over the place with your pull behind back hoe, chair and weather stories.

The customer was dropping off material at Jacks shop, you want it delivered to a steel yard. you never stated how it was getting to your shop. Do you own a 2 ton truck & trailer big enough to haul it? Do you have a CDL and DOT # ? Where is the yard with the sheer located? How many hrs lost in transportation? You admitted you don't know what these places charge. How are you offloading the pallets of sheared plates, processing them then loading them on the customers truck when he shows up?

Several people who actually do this kind of work has chimed in with real world experience and numbers, you ignore them as it contradicts the little picture you painted in your head of your shiny new iron worker . This indicates you have no real world experience in a production environment (sorry parade floats don't count unless your mass producing them for a profit.) You claim an iron worker is the end all of all $$ jobs yet you own none. (Buy one and the work will come right??) Why did you buy the plasma tables instead ?? From all of your statements above they are unreliable.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:00 pm Joe,

Your the one all over the place with your pull behind back hoe, chair and weather stories.
I apologize. I don't normally have long conversations with folks who need everything S-P-E-L-L-E-D O-U-T for them. I thought you could follow a simple conversation. :Sad
The customer was dropping off material at Jacks shop,
Show me WHERE that little factoid was posted! The OP only stated:
jackgreen91 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:29 pm
...the customer wants 1000 of them and is supplying the plate.
That COULD mean:

1. The customer already HAS IT and will deliver it to Jack himself.

2. The customer will only PAY FOR IT but Jack needs to pick it up.

3. The material will be DELIVERED to Jack's shop by the steel yard that sold the material to the customer.

4. Jack will need to GO GET THE MATERIAL FROM the customer.

5. Jack will need to GO GET THE MATERIAL FROM the steel yard.

6. Jack will need to BOTH PURCHASE AND TRANSPORT the material to his shop, and the customer will only PAY THE COST OF THE MATERIAL WITH NO MARKUP when the job is finished.
you want it delivered to a steel yard. you never stated how it was getting to your shop. Do you own a 2 ton truck & trailer big enough to haul it? Do you have a CDL and DOT # ? Where is the yard with the sheer located? How many hrs lost in transportation?
I was making a point that YOU CLEARLY MISSED.
You admitted you don't know what these places charge.
More silly assumptions on your part.

I said I don't know HOW THE LOCAL STEEL YARD WITH THE SHEAR NEAR JACK'S SHOP will charge JACK to sheer THIS MATERIAL INTO 1,000 300MM X 300MM SQUARES.

Will they charge Jack by the sheet? By the cut? By the hour? By the pound? Does the price go up for a "Rush Job"? Does the price increase for required accuracy? Does Jack get a discount for being a frequent customer? Can YOU answer ANY of these questions?
How are you offloading the pallets of sheared plates, processing them then loading them on the customers truck when he shows up?
NONE of that has been explained, based on the information provided by Jack in his posts, and he has given us NO HINT of his ability to do this.

Wow. First, the job is in %$^&* ENGLAND! I was making the point that I would gladly TAKE ON a job like that, which has SO MUCH POTENTIAL FOR HIGH PROFIT, to show GUYS LIKE YOU how to turn a laborious 200 HOUR back breaking JOB into a new ironworker!
Several people who actually do this kind of work has chimed in with real world experience and numbers, you ignore them as it contradicts the little picture you painted in your head of your shiny new iron worker .
You have NO CLUE what experience I have, or what I have accomplished.

Have you seen my beautiful Toyota FORKLIFT? How in Hell do you THINK I was able to AFFORD that $15,000.00 SHOP TOOL?! A similar job came my way. I saw the POTENTIAL to make enough money on the job by NOT farming it out to a CNC plasma table that could HANDLE the large 1/2" steel plates, so I quoted the job AS IF I had a forklift to move the plates around. I used the money I earned to PAY for the forklift. I put the plates onto my 5x10 Samson table with the extended forks I also purchased. I cut the pieces, delivered them to the customer, collected the money, and PAID OFF THE FORKLIFT THAT DAY!

I have done a lot of jobs, but RARELY does A SINGLE $18,000.00 JOB WALK THROUGH MY DOOR!
This indicates you have no real world experience in a production environment (sorry parade floats don't count unless your mass producing them for a profit.)
The ONLY THING it indicates is that YOU seem UNABLE to THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX.

I could easily build parade floats for a living. The JUDGES told me I should do exactly that.
You claim an iron worker is the end all of all $$ jobs yet you own none.
By choice. I could own one TODAY, with a simple phone call, and have it delivered by the middle of August. Back to the conversation you seem unable to follow, it is not PRUDENT for me to buy one JUST TO HAVE ONE at this time, with the economy falling apart, a fake pandemic, a fake President, the threat of the collapse of the U.S. Dollar, and a thousand other things that give me pause. However, if a highly profitable job like this walked through MY DOOR, I would own an ironworker before dinner time TONIGHT!
Buy one and the work will come right??
Another silly assumption. I am not telling him to buy an ironworker IN THE HOPE THAT A JOB WILL COME ALONG to pay for it. I am telling him that HE ALREADY HAS A JOB THAT WILL PAY FOR IT. There is a BIG difference.
Why did you buy a plasma tables instead ?? From all of your statements above they are unreliable.
You are unbelievable. This has NOTHING to do with their reliability! This is about a high dollar job walking through the door of a SMALL SHOP. Opportunity has knocked at his door! YES, he can use his grandmother, his granddaughter and his hunting dog to move the huge plates from the wooden cart behind his pack llama onto the plasma table and cut them.

He can take drugs to stay awake for the 200+ HOURS it will require to cut the plates that way. He can do this entire job without adding so much as a new 3mm drill bit to his shop, and PROBABLY produce the plates.... eventually. :roll:

At the end of the job, his shop will be NO MORE CAPABLE that it was at the start. His income WILL NOT HAVE CHANGED one little bit, because any jobs he has lined up will be pushed to the back burner in his ONE-MAN SHOP. He will probably piss off a lot of regular customers who have been slighted, in order for him to grind through this ONE BIG JOB. In FACT, he will probably turn jobs away because of the sudden workload that exceeds the capability of his shop, and word will get out around town ... "Don't go to him ... he can't do things quickly..."

He will show the customer that he can produce these plates with his limited resources. Then he can spend all of the money on the complete collection of Cabbage Patch Dolls that his granddaughter has been wanting for decades.

Then the customer will return with an order for FIVE THOUSAND PLATES, EACH WITH TWELVE HOLES, and he will want a DISCOUNT as a returning customer... and there stands Jack, nestled in a mountain of Cabbage Patch Dolls, without an IRONWORKER to expedite the process.

Golly ... MAYBE he can look into having a steel yard shear the plates for him, and ... and ... :lol:

Joe

Last edited by Joe Jones on Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The backhoe, the chair and the weather are ALL part of this thread. I am sorry that they confuse you.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I do not understand why you are so opposed to someone seizing the opportunity to increase the capabilities of his shop by acquiring a new machine that is not only something he cannot normally AFFORD, but a machine that will not only make the CURRENT job faster and easier, but will then go on to help the shop become more capable and productive for years to come. What possible logic is used to offer such advice?

"I want to hire you to cut a small branch off of this bush. I will pay you one dollar."

"Well, okay. I can do that with my hand clippers."

"Now I want to hire you to harvest 1,000 acres of wheat. I will pay you $5,000.00 per acre."

"Well, okay ... one guy in Kentucky told me to buy the equipment I need to do the job, so I will have it to do other similar jobs in the future. But this other guy who boasts about his "real world experience" is telling me to use my hand clippers, so ..."

Joe

Last edited by Joe Jones on Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

FabLab
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by FabLab »

The customer was dropping off material at Jacks shop, you want it delivered to a steel yard. you never stated how it was getting to your shop. Do you own a 2 ton truck & trailer big enough to haul it? Do you have a CDL and DOT # ? Where is the yard with the sheer located? How many hrs lost in transportation? You admitted you don't know what these places charge. How are you offloading the pallets of sheared plates, processing them then loading them on the customers truck when he shows up?

Several people who actually do this kind of work has chimed in with real world experience and numbers, you ignore them as it contradicts the little picture you painted in your head of your shiny new iron worker . This indicates you have no real world experience in a production environment (sorry parade floats don't count unless your mass producing them for a profit.) You claim an iron worker is the end all of all $$ jobs yet you own none. (Buy one and the work will come right??) Why did you buy the plasma tables instead ?? From all of your statements above they are unreliable.
:Like :Like :Like :Like
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

You can lead a horse to water ... :roll:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I never heard Jack (the OP) asking anything about shearing, punching, etc. He stated that he owns a cnc plasma table and his intention was to do this job with his existing table, and was/is looking for any advise in pricing the job. Myself and several others offered some suggestions and advise on what factors he might consider when quoting this job. From some of the other replies, it seems apparent to me that Jack is well equipped to take on this job in his current shop setting. Perhaps a new thread topic could be started for debating the merits of different cutting methods - cnc plasma, water jet, laser, shearing, sawing, etc.
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:01 pm I never heard Jack (the OP) asking anything about shearing, punching, etc. He stated that he owns a cnc plasma table and his intention was to do this job with his existing table, and was/is looking for any advise in pricing the job.
I read it as, "I am UNCERTAIN if I can even DO this job with this table."
jackgreen91 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:29 pm Reasonably new to this world but I've been cutting small stuff for a while.
adbuch wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:01 pm Myself and several others offered some suggestions and advise on what factors he might consider when quoting this job.
Yes. You told a gardener to dig the basement for a shopping mall with his shovel.
adbuch wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:01 pm From some of the other replies, it seems apparent to me that Jack is well equipped to take on this job in his current shop setting.
jackgreen91 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:29 pm 300mm x 300mm x 12mm with 4no 22mm holes per plate, the customer wants 1000 of them and is supplying the plate. I need to quote for cut, handling and shipping. I work it out to be about nearly 10 tons of stuff, so even the handling would come in to question.
jackgreen91 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:29 pm I'm ok making a small loss figuring the pricing out on one-off jobs, but this needs to be priced well or I will be selling the house to make up for errors in pricing as the work load is huge for me but it would kick start me if I can pull it off.
That does not sound "well equipped" to me.
adbuch wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:01 pm Perhaps a new thread topic could be started for debating the merits of different cutting methods - cnc plasma, water jet, laser, shearing, sawing, etc.
David
I don't know which post YOU read, but I read this one
jackgreen91 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:29 pm Hi all,

Reasonably new to this world but I've been cutting small stuff for a while. Some big firm caught wind that I have a CNC plasma and want me to quote for them, I'm ok making a small loss figuring the pricing out on one-off jobs, but this needs to be priced well or I will be selling the house to make up for errors in pricing as the work load is huge for me but it would kick start me if I can pull it off.

300mm x 300mm x 12mm with 4no 22mm holes per plate, the customer wants 1000 of them and is supplying the plate. I need to quote for cut, handling and shipping. I work it out to be about nearly 10 tons of stuff, so even the handling would come in to question.

Not figured out my price per linear or per pierce, I've always based the few jobs I have had upon jobs which I've had previously done and guessed the suppliers numbers to put me in the ball park but I fear this could put me way out.

I'm in the UK but all ears on opinions regardless.

Best regards,
Jack
That doesn't sound like a seasoned professional in the world of large production quantities of heavy steel to me.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

Joe Jones wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:32 pm

Yes. You told a gardener to dig the basement for a shopping mall with his shovel.

To bad if your plasma cam is only a "shovel", a real table would be an "excavator" then, well able to do this job :). Kind of funny one minute a certain table can do it all, next minute we are told an oxy torch and mag drill would be better. I have the best idea of all, a cordless grinder with a zip wheel, drill the holes with a hand crank auger. That would be slower than a plasma table but it seems like we are trying to help the OP make it take a while!
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
12 Ft Durma Brake
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

cutnweld wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:23 am
Joe Jones wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:32 pm

To bad if your plasma cam is only a "shovel", a real table would be an "excavator" then, well able to do this job :). Kind of funny one minute a certain table can do it all, next minute we are told an oxy torch and mag drill would be better. I have the best idea of all, a cordless grinder with a zip wheel, drill the holes with a hand crank auger. That would be slower than a plasma table but it seems like we are trying to help the OP make it take a while!
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I am tired of your B.S.

The PlasmaCam CAN do it. The Samson 510 CAN do it. The GO TORCH CAN do it. You can even cut these fucking squares out BY HAND. Are they the best tool for the job? NO!

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

I hope that at the end of the day that jackgreen91 found this entertaining, Had a stressful week and it was good to have some humour again! You all have a good weekend
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
12 Ft Durma Brake
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Given the RECORD HEAT we are experiencing, I would rather sit in a closed shop with a powerful air conditioner running while I sit on a comfortable stool and PUNCH 4,000 holes through those steel plates, rather than standing there pulling hot plates off of a hot table in a hot shop. You can't run the air conditioner while you are pumping the smoke and gasses from a plasma table out of your shop at 3,000 cubic feet per minute.

Hmmm... work alone muscling TEN TONS of steel plates onto a plasma table in a boiling hot shop vs sitting at an ironworker in a nice cool shop and punching holes with a quiet hydraulic ironworker while listening to my favorite music. THAT ALONE would be a no brainer for me. :HaHa

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

cutnweld wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:03 pm I hope that at the end of the day that jackgreen91 found this entertaining, Had a stressful week and it was good to have some humour again! You all have a good weekend
If he does this job the way those two guys told him to do it, he will get some "real world experience" alright! He will be busting his a** in record hot temperatures, alone, in a hot shop, and about 250 LABOR HOURS later, he MIGHT have those plates cut. :lol:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

So Jack ... How many four-holed square plates have you cut with your plasma table already?

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

My good friend, Johan cut these steel shelves with his Samson 510 plasma table. Wow!

Joe
JOHAN PLATES.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

WOW! I am sure they are 2" thick. Actually I dont call those shelves plate, there is a difference between cutting plate and cutting sheet steel.
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
12 Ft Durma Brake
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

cutnweld wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:16 am WOW! I am sure they are 2" thick. Actually I dont call those shelves plate, there is a difference between cutting plate and cutting sheet steel.
My point, EXACTLY. Cutting 12mm plate steel and then cutting four 22mm holes through them is more difficult than punching 800 holes through a sheet of 14 gauge steel.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

What day of the week is it plasma forum kiddies??

It's Joe's Piss N MoanDay!

Joe,

Like I said on pg 1 there is many unknown variables of Jacks shop and the customers cut requirements. Jack thanked us for the answers and giving him ideas. He is awaiting further input from the customer. You have turned this discussion into a "Me Knows Best Temper Tantrum". If you spent 1/3 of the energy you wasted here finishing all of your projects (tubing roller / powder coat oven ect) you would be making money and could afford that shiny new iron worker that is stuck in your mind.

Get a pet if you crave so dang much attention dude!
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:53 am It's Joe's Piss N MoanDay!
I thought that was yesterday. :-?
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

I can hardly believe the 250 hour thing. 1000 plates at 250 hours means 4 per hour, or 1 plate every 15 minutes. I run my table slow to try and save my gearboxes till I can find time to upgrade, but even at my 400 ipm I could cut an awful lot faster than that, and 12 mm plate is easily doable with plasma. Go for it Jack!
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
12 Ft Durma Brake
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Probably figuring loading, unloading & cleanup in there.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”