Plasma cut sign from steel - How thick?

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
Craig F
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Plasma cut sign from steel - How thick?

Post by Craig F »

I am plasma cutting a 4’ x 8’ outdoor sign with a pretty good bit of the metal removed for the logo and lettering. The sign will be two sided with an internal perimeter framework of 3” channel and internal led lighting. 1/8” thick acrylic will be on the inside of the steel sheet. Other than the perimeter frame, there won’t be any other framing. I am wondering if 1/8” thick mild steel will be enough for the 4’ x 8’ sign or if I need to jump it up to 3/16”? I am wanting to make it as light as possible.

Thanks
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasma cut sign

Post by adbuch »

My feeling is that 1/8" (11 ga.) should be sufficient for your application. But of course 3/16" would be fine too, and a little bit more stiff.
David
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Plasma cut sign

Post by DieselFumes »

I think 1/8 should be fine since you have a sturdy frame and acrylic backer, bonding the steel to the acrylic is also an option if the steel gets a little wavy in spots. I would consider aluminum also if it suits the finish you have planned for it as it would be much lighter for such a large sign and is easier to manipulate if you get some warpage.

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”