Looking for tool recommendation...clean up cut holes

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
whizbang
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Looking for tool recommendation...clean up cut holes

Post by whizbang »

I am looking for recommendations on tooling I can use to square up the edges of holes or slots on thicker material. I know nature of plasma cutting will result in some taper to the edges, especially thicker material like 1/4" and up but I want to be able to clean up the edges and improve it in some cases.

What I am looking for is preferably a die grinder bit with 1/4" shank that is not a double cut carbide burr because they grab and are hard to control. I have tried sanding drums for port and polishing of various quality and grit and design, they all burn up in about 30sec. I'd be interested if there are any diamond or sintered style abrasive bits with 1/4" shanks.

Appreciate any insights or recommendations.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Looking for tool recommendation...

Post by weldguy »

I have never had much luck doing that. The cut edge is so hardened it dulls out everything, smaller holes I can get away with a cobalt drill bit but larger holes that doesn't work so well. Carbide burr in a die grinder with some WD40 is about the only thing I have found that will work decently. Curious if anyone else has found anything else to work well.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Looking for tool recommendation...clean up cut holes

Post by djreiswig »

You can buy single cut burrs.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”