Magnets

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Magnets

Post by arnegrant »

I had a few questions about the magnets I use.

They are the cheaper ones from China. I use 1,000 kg (one ton) capacity magnets. The capacity varies on the sheet thickness, there is a chart on the side of the magnet. Thicker sheet the magnet has more holding power.

They need to be on clean flat material, any grime or dross and it won't grab.

I use two magnets at a time to lift sheets on a load bar. If you use one magnet you will drop sheets. If you do it long enough or rough enogh you may drop a sheet with two magnets.

It is way easier to load plates with magnets than with a forklift. I find it is easier on equipment as well.

They don't work on stainless.

They don't work on aluminum.

I wouldn't use them on gage metal, it's too wiggly and might pop off.

I like our actuated jib crane to use them so I can stand back.

Do not put any part of your hand under the sheet. I keep my thumbs above the sheet at all times.

I have dropped sheets with one magnet.

I have dropped a sheet with two magnets, only once. Not sure why.

We handle alot of sheets.

If your jib crane isn't actuated you can cut your hand on partial sheets if you push on the sheet. Be careful.

If you are picking from a stack of steel make sure you only take the top sheet or you will likely drop the lower sheet. I pick up a little and then if the lower sheet sticks split the bottom sheets down with a wonder bar or similar.

It works better if you measure, but I don't anymore. First hundred times or so you should measure until you get a feel for placing the center of gravity between the short direction AND the long direction. Any tilt at all set the sheet down and adjust the magnet so it picks square.

Magnets don't like tilt.

Magnets don't like bumps.

Magnets need smooth handling

I bought mine off ebay

Read the manual, follow the manufacturer directions

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by arnegrant on Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jason@bc
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Magnets

Post by Jason@bc »

That's a very clever way of doing it Arnegrant, I still use (tongs) for lifting my sheets, it works but I think your way is faster, thanks for posting.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Arne - that is a great explanation on how to use magnets for loading and unloading sheet steel. I am more of a hobby guy, and don't deal with those large thick sheets. But if I did, yours would be a great setup to have.
Thanks for sharing.
David
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Great method of loading and great explanation. Thanks for the info and the pics!

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”